Ballet Talk for Dancers
GTLS Designs

Advice/Lessons: 15 Truths about being a Professional

Balletbun

I will definitely pass this on to my students, parents, friends and colleagues. Thanks for posting.

gingerly

YES. Man, I needed this. Thanks so much!

cat11

Thanks for posting this, I printed it up and DD taped it to her wall.

Momof3darlings

I thought I'd bump this thread up since the contents go along with other threads currently discussing Life as a Professional Dancer.

bighead ballet

Thank you for sharing the link. These 15 Truths are universal to any career. I can easily replace "dancer" with "IT Professional" and the truths apply equally to the corporate world of employees and consultants. :)

OK, yet dancers do get a lot more financial stress than these professions. This article is just so trash that its function is to shut dancers' brain so that director or the like can easily manipulate them. And could the author define what is * valuable? Every director/choreographer got their own taste.

Edited by bighead ballet

Victoria Leigh

Bighead ballet, I'm afraid that you are the one who needs to define, in terms of what you are saying. What is your problem with the article? Can you tell us what you feel is wrong with the things that have been expressed as truths for dancers?

dancemad

Very true :) with the exception of clause 13 which in my experience is not ALWAYS the case!

ceecee

I was happy to see this list again! Forgot about it! I would also maybe add (maybe to #10)... the only one who can keep you healthy is you! Dancers must transition from having teachers (and mom :)) focused on their well-being and must make time each day for the details involved in caring for themselves physically and mentally.

diane

So true about trying to stay healthy.. which is REALLY hard if you have to get from A to B and get shopping done, appointments here and there, doctors not open except during rehearsal or class time and make no appointments, so you have to just go-and-sit-and-wait, red-tape, heating defect ->get someone in to fix that, sew pointe shoes, extra rehearsals at last minute, shops close at 7pm and do not open until after you are in the theatre again... etc. etc.

A REAL challenge!!

petiteballerina

Wow what a great list! Thanks so much for posting!!!

Momof3darlings

bumping up so new conversation stays in one place

Millie

I sent this to my son recently. He is in his seventh year as a professional dancer with a large company. Here is his comment. I am posting it to revive discussion. Quote:

To be honest I don't like the message of the article. It is basically saying that you must be a slave to the art and adhere to the previous generation's standards and ideals. There are some points that are true and that young dancers should note, however it is always more memorable when you learn it for yourself.

At some point you have to take it for yourself and rewrite the rules. Otherwise nothing will change, and it is sadly a dying art, so something is wrong with it. Something has to change, and this article isn't helping that.

djeowmom

Millie: Your son shows great perspective. Thank you for sharing his feedback with us.

dancemaven

Millie, your son shows a great (and much needed) maturity in thinking for himself and evaluating what this beautiful art form may need to survive.