Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pre-pro school, dream or reality?

PSB Ballerina

*I'm sure there are a million of topics like this and I'm sorry if people are sick of them.* I have danced since I was three for ten years now. I have dreams of becoming pro and I might move to the boston area in the next year or so for high school (give you an idea of my location). I dance at a local studio but we have great teachers who have danced with smaller companies and one of my teachers danced with Boston Ballet another taught at Jose Mateo's for a long time. I as I mentioned before I have dreams of going pro and want to go to a pre pro school however I'm afraid I won't be good enough. I love dance more than anything especially ballet and want to excel at it so bad, I want it more than anything. What schools would you recommend for someone like me with aspirations of dancing professionally? I will work as hard as I can and do whatever it takes however I don't want the cost to be too expensive for my family. I have two other sisters who dance as well however I'm the ballet fanatic one sister likes contemporary/modern and the other likes contemporary/modern and tap. I do all three ballet, contemporary and tap but my passion is ballet. Please reply I want this more than anything.

Edited by PSB Ballerina
  • Administrators

PSB, there are a number of very good schools in your area, including Boston Ballet, The Brookline Ballet School, Mateo, and Walnut Hill. You need to study their websites, visit them, audition for their SI and year-round programs, and then decide which one would be the best for you.

I have researched these schools and would love to go to BB. I have contacted the school about their SI and received numerous replies and such. However, I'm not sure what the costs are like. Anyone know what the costs are for BB year round programs (estimate)?

• Administrators

PSB, the cost is something that your parents need to worry about. ALL very good ballet schools are expensive.

I'm aware cost is something for my parents to worry about but I don't want to audition and get accepted then not end up going because the costs are too high. But thank you for answering my questions!!! :flowers:

I know about financial aid and scholarships as well and might try to apply for those if I audition for BB. I have already contacted the school about aid and scholarships.

Edited by PSB Ballerina
PSB: While cost is a huge concern, many non-profit schools offer financial aid which is not based on merit. Meaning it is not a "scholarship". That process is up to your parents and can only be pursued once you have gained acceptance into the school through an audition.

Sorry, gcwhitewater, I've invisibled your post, but at least quoted it here, because it's good information. Young Dancers and Moderators only on Young Dancers forums.