Ballet Talk for Dancers
bagg

School of the Pennsylvania Ballet

dancemaven

Summer Intensive information should be posted (and sought) in the SI Forum. :thumbsup:

ddsbiggestfan

Can someone please post the level 6 classes and times? The website only lists 6 days, 15 hours per week for level 6. TIA.

I'm back from my vacation in Jamaica (sigh . . . ), so here is the information you requested.

Level 5/6 classes:

Mon: 6-7:30 Technique, 7:30-8:30 Pilates

Tues, Thurs, Fri: 6-7:30 Technique, 7:30-8:30 Pointe

Wed: 6-7:30 Technique, 7:30-8:30 Modern

Sat: 10-11:30 Technique, 11:30-12:30 Partnering

Let me know if you need anything else and I'll get you the information if I can!

ballet.bunny

Would you happen to know if there is, or will be, residence options available for out-of town students?

ddsbiggestfan

There was some discussion of this in our initial parent meeting, and I think that they are investigating the possibilities. However, they have not yet been able to open their new school/administrative building so that is probably the first priority (it's scheduled to open in January). They will need some type of housing if they are doing a summer intensive this year, but I haven't heard any news about that yet either.

Sorry that I don't have more concrete information! You should feel free to call their administrator. He is very nice and would be happy to answer your questions.

ddsbiggestfan

I just posted the link to basic information about their summer intensive and audition dates in the SI Forum.

ballet.bunny

Thanks so much ddsbiggestfan! I will have to look into this. :)

oldtown

I just posted the link to basic information about their summer intensive and audition dates in the SI Forum.

Can someone please post this link? I searched through the "2012/13 Summer Intensives" forum and could not find a thread dedicated to PAB SI. However, I did see the separate Pennsylvania Academy thread which is not PAB.

Clpretzel

I'm really interested in hearing more about everyone's experience with the school this year. We will be moving into the area and trying to find the right fit for me DD10.

ddsbiggestfan

Welcome to the forum Clpretzel!

Do you have any specific questions, or just want overall impressions and feedback? My DD is older (15) but we've been at SPB all year and I'll do my best to help.

Clpretzel

ddsbiggestfan, I mostly wanted general impressions. DD got in this week. I think she will attend in the fall. Did your DD perform in any of the ballets? How many ballets were students able to audition for this year? What kind of parts could an 11 year old get? The classes, not the performances, are the main reason why we plan on attending, but I was still curious about performance opportunities. DD auditioned with a normal class and LOVED the teacher. That was the deciding factor for us. Perhaps that would be different at the younger age group though.

ddsbiggestfan

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you - we were on vacation last week. Congratulations to you and your daughter, and I hope you have as good an experience with PA Ballet as we have had.

By way of background, my daughter had been dancing at a wonderful little pre-pro in our neighborhood for 10 years before switching to PA Ballet in the fall at age 14. She went on pointe at 11 1/2, and has done SIs at Chautauqua and the Rock School. Making a move was totally her idea. We were not at all unhappy with our old school, but she really wanted to make a change and this was an opportunity she felt she couldn't pass up. And overall it has been a great experience! She has learned a lot, and so has the school, and they will be making some good changes for the next year.

On the plus side, and by far the most important thing, the instruction is excellent! She started off at a level lower than we would have liked, but she really needed to work on some aspects of her turnout and alignment. They are very, very particular, and give great corrections. There is also a lot of emphasis put on expression and artistry, even in class. She was moved up a level mid-year along with a few other girls, which was a great acknowledgement for her. So far her improvement has been very subtle - her turnout is now terrific, and she is much more "centered." I think with a summer of strengthening she is poised to really take off next year.

Another plus is the unity of the instruction. While each teacher has a different style and emphasis, my daughter felt that the approach was much more consistent than her previous school, and that the corrections were more productive.

The students are all very serious, and very nice. No issues with nastiness! And the administration is very competent, enthusiastic and approachable. A friend of mine wanted a private meeting with the director to discuss some issues, and was able to set it up without any problems.

On the negative side, they started out without really giving enough hours of instruction for Levels 3 & 4, and not enough pointe. They have remedied this in the schedule for next year. So even though she was not moved up a level again at the end of the year, her hours are increasing from 9.5 hours to 12 hours per week, and her hours of pointe are doubling. Midyear they also divided Level 2 and added a "pre-pointe" level ("2p") for students who will be moving into pointe in the fall.

This year only the highest levels (5 & 6) had partnering, contemporary or conditioning; they are hoping to add partnering for Level 4 next year, but contemporary will probably need to wait until they have more studio space. They have added a level - there are now 7 levels. I am not certain exactly how that will play out in the schedule (we have the basic schedule, but no specifics). Last year Levels 5 & 6 did classes together (Level 6 only had 4 girls in it); now levels 5-7 all have 15 hours of instruction per week, so the 3 levels may be grouped together in the fall.

As for as performing opportunities, that was the one thing that we knew we would be giving up. Her old school does 2 performances a year (Nutcracker in the fall and a full-length ballet in the spring), and also participates in RDA so there were many, many chances for her to perform both classical and contemporary pieces. At PA Ballet she has not had that (although it may be different for your daughter). She is tall (now 15 and 5'7" or 8"), and there are not many opportunities for tall girls until they get to the highest levels. She was cast as the maid in Nutcracker (along with the other tall girls in Levels 3 & 4), but we are not sure what they will do with her next year! But the more petite dancers will all be cast in the Nutcracker, and they were also used in Midsummer Night's Dream this year as well. And they did an amazing job and looked lovely! The advanced dancers do get to participate in many company productions (they are cast in corps roles in Nutcracker, and other shows as well), and she has that to look forward to. We discussed this in her conference - they are considering doing some type of fundraising performance that includes the students, but don't want to do a recital or showcase right now. And this really bothers me a lot more than it bothers my daughter (I do miss seeing her perform!) - she's more focused on improving as a dancer.

I hope this is helpful. If you have specific questions feel free to ask, but I am traveling again for the next few days (up to Boston for the SI) and so may not be able to get right back to you.

Clpretzel

ddsbiggestfan,

This was really helpful. The main reason I was hesitant to enroll her was the small amount of hours. Then we got the schedule, and I was delighted that the hours increased. DD will be 11 in October and is in level 2. I think it's going to be a fabulous fit for her.

I'll be traveling from NJ. Do you have any suggestions about how I could possibly find carpooling? The bridge tolls have the potential to really add up.

Also, did your dd audition for her parts or did they just cast her?

Thanks so much for the insight!!!!

monkeymama

I was wondering if there is any new info about possible residence opportunities at SPB. Also, is there any information about what the class schedule looks like for the various levels.

Edited by skipamyb

meilingsmama

Curious how the school is going for the 2014 year. I understand there was a huge change is leadership in the company and the school.