Ballet Talk for Dancers
bagg

School of the Pennsylvania Ballet

Clpretzel

My daughter 12 loves her training at the school. She has a really nice group of girls in her level. All the students get a fair amount of attention. We are so thankful for the opportunity. For us, the worst part is the commute. If you have specific questions, I would love to answer them.

Edited by Clpretzel

gasguzzler

Can anyone tell us what a daily/ weekly schedule looks like for level 6 and 7. I see the number of hours per level posted on the website but no schedule. What time do classes start for the different levels?

gasguzzler

How many students are in a class? Do students need to be invited back each year? Are individual evaluations given? How often do levels 5,6, and 7 have partnering? What performance opportunities were afforded to students in these levels last year?

ddsbiggestfan

I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to reply - I had to go into the school to look up the schedule!

It's the end of the year, so I can't find my directory but Level 6 looks to be about 15-18 students, and Level 7 is smaller (maybe 10 or so). Students do need to be invited back, but so far there have been very few students that have not been asked back. It's very easy to schedule an appointment with the director at any time; the evaluation process hasn't been formalized, but there are many opportunities to discuss your child's progress.

All students in levels 5, 6 & 7 have weekly partnering class. Level 6 and Level 7 students are not generally in combined classes, although on Saturdays their Pointe/Variations and Modern Classes are combined.

Level 6 schedule is 6pm-8:30pm M-F, and 10:30-1pm on Saturday; that includes 1 1/2 hours of technique and 1 hour variations each night (technique is done on Pointe), and one of their variations classes is partnering. There is also a modern class 1:30-2:30 on Saturdays, and Pilates (with Level 7) 1 hour a week.

Level 7 takes daily class with the second company (sorry, I don't know that schedule); they also have classes M/W/F from 4-6:30 (this includes a partnering class), and T/Th 6-8:30. Saturday classes are the same as Level 6.

All upper level students are given the opportunity to participate with the company in corps roles, including Spanish, Flowers and Snow in the Nutcracker. In addition for the first time this year the school is doing an end of the year performance; all the students are involved, and the Levels 6 & 7 are presenting Serenade, as well as another piece.

I also want to add that my daughter has had a VERY difficult year due to medical issues unrelated to dance, and the school has been incredibly supportive through an extremely challenging time. I am very grateful!

Hope this helps.

gasguzzler

Thank you so much for getting that information together. I am sorry that your daughter has been ill, I'm sure it has been hard on you as well as her. It was kind of you to go over to the studio and put together "the report". I wish we had such a wonderful program near home. Yes the information is helpful. I am grateful for the detailed response. It sounds like a great place to study. All the best to you and your dd. I hope she is feeling better now. We did see the clip on the facebook page. It was lovely.

gasguzzler

Is the calendar for the 2014-2015 school year program available? I'd like to see what it looks like.

jambo

Are all of the upper level classes in the afternoon or do they have the opportunity to train during the day time as well with PB2?

gasguzzler

If you look at their website you will see that there is a new pre-professional division this year. Students in this division have class from like 9:30am until around 2:00pm. The pre-pro division students have the option of attending advanced classes in the evenings as well. Some of their classes are combined with PB2 others are not.

jambo

Thanks Gasguzzler for this. Does anyone know if there are housing options or host families for kids who are living away from home?

gasguzzler

The school does not deal with housing.

danceimatter

For the school year program what is the average age for levels 5,6 & 7?

ddsbiggestfan

I am not sure about Level 5, but in both Level 6 and Level 7 the average age is 16-17. There is one (very talented) 13 year old in Level 6, but most of the students in Level 6 are HS Juniors. In Level 7 it's pretty much a mix between Juniors and Seniors. Both Levels 6 & 7 have the same number of training hours and their schedule is almost identical. They are often combined for pointe/variations classes - and a few of the Level 7x & 8 pre-pro students (who also have morning classes) often join the evening classes as well.

june

My daughter has been accepted to the school for the 2016/2017 year. She will need housing. I would appreciate any helpful tips that anyone has about finding housing and roommate(s).

sugarinko

My DD has also been accepted to the year round. I would like to know the class size for Level 7 and 8 and any housing information.

nymom

JUNE- just tried to pm you but I guess you don't have privileges yet. I have a friend (in NYC) whose daughter will be attending PA Ballet in Level 7 for 2016/2017. She plans to rent an apt for her daughter and they need a roommate. My friend (the mom) would love to speak with you. Not sure how to arrange that if providing phone numbers here might not be a good idea. I think I could perhaps provide her email by spelling it out (xyz at xyz dot com), right? Anyway, please let me know if you might be interested to connect with her! Thanks!