Ballet Talk for Dancers
bagg

School of the Pennsylvania Ballet

DanceDad99

Congrats on your daughter being accepted. My daughter was put in level 7. As soon as I figure out how to send a private message I will send you some contact info.

gasguzzler

Welcome to Ballet Talk Dance Dad! You have to be a full member to use private messaging. I believe this means that you must have been active on the board at least for two weeks and have made a minimum of 30 messages. You can read more on the forum titled "How To Do Things", scroll down until you se "The Complete Private Messenger AKA "PMing".

DanceDad99

Hi Leilanifinch,

I'm not sure where you are in your decision making process but you can contact me if you'd like at mulcahm at hotmail dot com. My daughter is close to 100% in wanting to attend the program.

RockyPA

My dd just got offered to join the School of Pennsylania Ballet.  She is almost 15 and was placed in Level 6.  The commute is a bit of an issue (about an hour). Just wondering if anyone has any recent feedback re: the school.  Besides the Nutcracker what other performance opportunities are there?  Thanks for any info.

spetedancer

RockyPA, Congrats to your daughter! There are many performance opportunities other than The Nutcracker. Often, many students may be needed to fill roles in other company performances for walk-on roles, or sometimes there are dancing roles that may need to be filled in PBII (the second company) productions. She'll have to audition, but most students are given the opportunity to at least learn a role in productions! There is also the performance that is held towards the end of the school year. This past year it was a full-length (3 acts) production of Peter Pan. Students filled all the roles from principle roles to corps de ballet roles. It was a great experience for all the students because they were able to experience what it truly felt like to be part of a professional production!

RockyPA

Thanks for your reply!  My dd currently dances for a regional ballet company and gets to perform regularly, which she enjoys.  Weighing the options. The commute is really the big issue.

Edited by RockyPA

ballerinashan

I was wondering if anyone could provide a detailed review on the pre-professional program at The School of Pennsylvania Ballet. Specifically, I would like to know about housing (dorms?), cost, how many dancers are in the program, and the typical day. I am also wondering where students tend to go after attending this program (stay to dance with PA Ballet, join other companies, or go to college?).

gasguzzler

There are no dorms provided by the Pennsylvania Ballet for the students. The Pre- Professional Program starts at age 7 and goes through age 17. Most students live at home with their families. The trainee program draws older more advanced students many of these students come from other areas or out of state for the program. These students need to find their own housing as housing is not provided by the school.

KZ82

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on how long to receive a decision after an audition? Also for the younger dancers, 7/8 year olds, is it common to not be accepted? Thanks for any feedback!

ballettalkgrm

My DD just received acceptance into the school program for the upcoming year.  She recently turned 15 and attended SBP SI where she was evaluated for their program.  She has been placed in Intermediate C level.  Does anyone have knowledge of what age range this usually consists of?  It looks like the levels have been reassigned since Mr. Payne became the school director.  What does Intermediate C align with on a 1-8 scale?

Also, we are from out of state so this would be a huge undertaking if we allow her to attend.  I'm assuming there is still no housing options available through the school.

Does anyone have current knowledge they would like to share regarding the program? If DD had been accepted into the Professional A program, I think we might be more inclined to jump through hoops for her to attend, but we are looking at the options she's been given.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Edited by dancemaven
Added paragraphs for ease of reading.

oniceskates

Congratulations!

I highly recommend scheduling a meeting with Mr. Payne.  He was very approachable and genuine.

Bekah21

Congrat balletalkgrm!!! I have no insight or words of advice, just wanted to say congrats.

ballettalkgrm

Thanks Bekah21!  

Noodles

Can anyone provide an update on how your dancer is liking this program?

oniceskates

Hello Noodles!

My DD is in the Professional Training Program.  There are 3 levels:  ProA, ProB and Trainees.  My DD is in ProA.  The ProA hours are from 9a-3:30p (M-F) and 9a-12:30p (Sa).  During the week, ProA has a break from 12p-3p to eat lunch and do schoolwork.  So far, she has thoroughly enjoyed the program and likes all her instructors.  During parent observation week, I noticed a significant improvement in her technique and musicality as well.  As a parent, the school staff has been more than responsive and very welcoming.  I feel that the school has the dancer's interest at the forefront.  Do you have any specific questions?