Ballet Talk for Dancers
bagg

School of the Pennsylvania Ballet

Noodles

oniceskates, thank you for sharing! I do have a couple more questions...do you know how many dancers are in each of the programs? How old is your dancer? Did your dancer get invited through SI attendance or are there other options? 

oniceskates

Noodles,

There are 12 Pro A, 12 Pro B and 20-ish Trainees.  These numbers included men and women.  My DD is 15.  She was invited through the SI Program.  I am not sure there are other options but if you call the school they should be able to tell you.  

twinkleandturn

Hi Oniceskates-does your DD work through a school curriculum provided by SPB or is it a cyber program you chose independent of the school?  At what age does the Pre-pro start at SPB?  

What style of school did your DD train at prior to entering the Pre-pro program?

Thank you for any info!  😊

oniceskates

Twinkleandturn,

Since our residency is in another state, my DD's curriculum consists of online classes through different vendors, DVDs, and textbooks.  Most dancers in her level are doing cyber school.  The parent of the dancer is responsible for arranging and monitoring their child's schooling.  ProA has a three hour break for lunch and schoolwork.  DD completes her schooling during the three hours and after classes.  ProB & Trainees have a lunch break only.

Placement in the Professional Program is based on ability.  The website gives an accurate description of the levels (ProA, ProB & Trainee)

DD's prior school emphasized classical ballet but they also offered optional tap,  jazz and character classes.  She did not take any tap or jazz classes.  For dancers at her level, they were eligible (if casted) for company performance opportunities as part of their training.

twinkleandturn

Thank you, oniceskates!  What is the average age range in ProA?  Is ProB more college aged dancers that have completed highschool?  SPB's website was very informative, however it didn't list age ranges.  My daughter is young and I'm sure many years away from any type of full day program, it is just really nice to hear these types of programs exist that are closer to us.  

I really appreciate the information you've provided!  😊