Ballet Talk for Dancers

My First Class!

Guest podiumstar

Guest podiumstar

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here and I am excited to announce that I took my first ballet class in 23 years last night! I am amazed at how much I remembered but, boy, do I have a lot to catch up on too!! My turnout is fairly ordinary and my flexibility is okay....but what was a true nightmare was getting any height in my developes and other held leg positions! I look forward to getting improvement there!!

I have been reading the posts on this board for a while and I must thank everyone who contributes. You all made it so much easier for me to finally get back to ballet - something I promised myself I would do from the day I stopped lessons (when I was 14).

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I could/should practice in between classes, please post!!

Podiumstar :)

I'd say your most valuable asset to practice between classes is patience.

You've recognized the need to start slowly, and you may not realize it, but any sense you had of your own body dancing has now been thrown totally askew by time. Even doing pliés without an "eye outside yourself" right now could be hazardous. I'd stick to just the very basic "frog" passive exercise where you lie on your stomach, and put your toes together, taking care not to sickle the feet in, and just sort of let gravity do its work for a few minutes at a time. You can also just sit and do the "butterfly", which is just the same sort of thing, except done to your front. Remember, no sickling here, either! Just the very beginning, non-weight bearing exercises are definitely best to start back with. They may seem like "baby" class material, and yes, they are; those bodies need TLC in training, too! Yours needs it, but of a different sort. It's tough to exercise restraint!:)

But welcome back to the classroom, and welcome to the Adult Students' Forum on Ballet Talk here at Ballet Alert! Online!:D

Stretching. Stretching. Stretching. I agree with Mel. No out of class exercises for now. One, it's too easy to hurt yourself even in something as simple in appearance as a plie, and; Two, bad habits begin from unsupervised work. Once you're in the habit of doing something wrong it takes a lot of work to correct it.

Guest podiumstar

Thanks for the advice - I will stick with stretching for now!

It's two days after my first class and I am still on a high :) My calves are sore from releves though! I am so used to doing active things in trainers (my background is teaching aerobics and group exercise). It is so different to "feel the floor" through ballet shoes and not have the cushioning you get in trainers. I know the soreness will disappear as I get used to the new movements.