Ballet Talk for Dancers
Our Thanks and Gratitude to Everyone Who Has Contributed to Our 2020 Fundraiser <3 <3 <3
Katarinaballerina

flexibility

Katarinaballerina

Hi! It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm back and have a question! :) I am not naturally flexible. At all. It takes a great amount of work for me to attain a very mediocre level of flexibility for a dancer. How can I improve my flexibility? Is it possible for me to become really flexible, or are some bodies truly not meant to bend any which way? I warm up and stretch before class and I stretch after class. How many times should I be stretching a day, and for how long at a time, in order to really improve? It's (obviously) proving to be a professional impediment and I really need to work on it as much as I can.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated! Thanks!

vrsfanatic

Under most circumstances, flexibility can always be improved, to a point. Heredity plays a large role in how flexible one may be. For some it can prove to be more of a challenge than for others.

Not being a physical fitness professional, it is difficult to say exactly how much is enough however when I injured my hamstring I was given exercises to do daily 3-4 times a day for about 15 minutes each session. With a correct "recipe" for your particular areas of concern, it might be best to visit with a personal trainer or ask your ballet teacher what could be recommended for you.

Katarinaballerina

Thanks for your reply! It's so frustrating how slowly progress comes sometimes, but I will keep at it and ask for some tip from my teachers.

Victoria Leigh

Sorry to have had to remove your first post, BCarson, but I just sent you an email to explain. :)