Ballet Talk for Dancers

so I tried on a white leotard...

futureMD2010

I agree with LaFilleSylophide...looks like the straps/sleeves are sort of "convertible"? I do this with my cap-sleeved leotard...the sleeves feel too short to be sleeves (and are unflattering on me) so I just pull them up over the point of my shoulder and they magically become wide straps.

Thanks for the wonderful tips, everyone! I have put "leotard shopping" at the top of my Boxing Day list :)

Huh. Yes. That never occured to me. I guess I can stop pining now -- I don't see how the straps could possibly stay that way once you start to move, especially if they do cross in the back! There's nothing wrong with the way it's shown in the blue; it's just not for me.

I tried on the leotard, but it doesn't look right on me unfortunately. I have very narrow shoulders and the straps/sleeves cover too much on me and make me look frumpy.

BlleFIlle-- I love the Gaynor Minden dance dress. I can't quite tell from the pic where the skirt starts. I have a little lower belly that I am still working on shrinking, so I get skirts or shorts that hit at minimum an inch below the belly button-- does the skirt part of this leotard extend that high? And it's not at all see through?

I finally found a non-see through white natalie leotard, and it somehow ended up in a load of darks the very first wash! Now it has an icky grey brown cast. : (

I love that So Danca leo! I want something similar without a crossed back. I love the look but they bother my neck if the cross is in the upper back. I really like the Capezio CC 202, but I want it in a Tactel type fabric. It performs well in cotton, but if I were to do a light color, I want it in a synthetic fabric.

BlleFIlle-- I love the Gaynor Minden dance dress. I can't quite tell from the pic where the skirt starts. I have a little lower belly that I am still working on shrinking, so I get skirts or shorts that hit at minimum an inch below the belly button-- does the skirt part of this leotard extend that high? And it's not at all see through?

I finally found a non-see through white natalie leotard, and it somehow ended up in a load of darks the very first wash! Now it has an icky grey brown cast. : (

Ask Major Mel about it- he knows tons about fabrics and how to fix these types of problems. If there's a solution, he's got it!

http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n532/BlleFille/

Hey KimiM, this is what it looks like on me; a "normal" non super ballet body type. I am 5 foot 6. My measurements are smallish but my girth is medium...go by girth...

It's not see through atall....I wear a cut up pair of ballet tights to make a "bra" for underneath but that is just because I have a bust.

Bllefille-- the dress looks stunning on you! Really shows off your tiny waist, and the deep v looks fab on you. Thanks so much for posting the pic!

I am also small boned and have a somewhat similar shape to you (but 5'7 and more girth (and hip!) so def a large for me)-- I emailed Gaynor Minden and their fitting boutique in NYC also carries leotards so I may see if I can try one on.

Wow! I love it! It looks more opaque in the skirt than the GM site shows... I prefer a more opaque skirt. Also, what're the nude inserts by the strap area? Is that part of the leotard or are you wearing a nude leo underneath?

So I went to the Gaynor Minden boutique today in search of BelleFille's dance dress-- they had only one rack of leotards and sadly, the lone, tiny white dance dress on the rack was the only one left! But I was able to get a gorgeous halter style leotard at least.