Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest alliecat93

correct way to adress teacher......

Guest alliecat93

I know this is probably not the right board, so feel free to move this, but I just couldn't think where to post it. My question is how do you address a female ballet teacher that is married? Is it Miss So and So, Ms. So and So, or Mrs. So and So? Thanks so much!!

Victoria Leigh

That is really up to the teacher, and what she chooses. Many teachers who have performed professionally continue to work under their professional name, which means that Betty Ballerina would be "Miss or Ms. Ballerina" even if she is married to someone other than Mr. Ballerina :P However, some teachers prefer to be addressed as Mrs. Ballerina, therefore that is how you should address them. When in doubt, ask! It is always better to find out than to assume and say the wrong thing. Lots of people will assume that I must be married, therefore they will address me as Mrs. Leigh. This is not correct, and I really do not much like it because I don't like the assumption that I must be married, whether I am or not!

Guest alliecat93

Thanks so much! I'll be sure to ask.

Guest smile

My teacher got married a while ago and still goes by her maiden name. Ever since she started teaching she has gone by the same name, so as not to confuse people about who she was and is. Ms. Leigh is right though, many teachers have preferences, and at my studio, we even call one of the teachers by her first name because that is how she wishes to be called.

Guest ballet_shalom_forever

Hello,

My teacher likes to be called my her first name with a Miss in front of it. Then again her last name is very hard to pronouce so it would just confuse her students. I've noticed that in the other local studios, they adress their teachers by their first names with a miss/mr. . But in the other disciplines at my studio (like jazz and hip hop) its Kim and Jil.

I think it also has to do with the dance style - ballet is more disciplined so teachers tend to demand more respect and that goes with the name. Jazz/hip hop are more 'loose' styles so as long as you're nice to the teacher you can call her/him my her first name with no miss or mr. But that's just my experience, it might different at other schools. :) ;)

Victoria Leigh

While it is certainly the teacher's, or the school's choice in terms of policy, it is traditional in ballet to address the teacher by a proper last name. Often in the case of a difficult last name, the teacher might choose to be called "Mr. V" or "Miss M". Using the first name, even with a "miss" in front of it does not carry the dignity or authority inherent in a classical ballet teacher. It is not done in professional schools.

Dolphingirl

At my school, which is very small and personal, we call the teachers by first names. This is what the teachers want, and they have the ability to change it whenever they want. For the younger kids, the teachers, including the teacher's trainees like me, are called Miss (first name), but after a few years, we call them just by their first names. It's very awkward at first, but that's actually what I'm used to at regular school too, so it doesn't seem like such a big deal. The oldest kids actually have a very close relationship with the teachers. We are their assistant teachers, we help them with costumes for performances, etc. By this time, it would almost seem weird to call them by anything else, except Miss (name). Of course, we all know that this is an exception to most ballet schools/ teachers and we all know that if we go away or if we have a guest teacher, that we should call them Mr. or Miss or Ms. (last name), unless they tell us otherwise.

Mel Johnson

Not so long ago, I took a class from a colleague whose daughter recently joined NYCB, She's a little younger than I am, but she was teaching the class. When I had a question to ask, I raised my hand, and began, "Mrs. Bar..." She giggled, and I wondered for a moment why, and realized that it was the first time I had ever called her by that title, but it was old-fashioned classroom manners that dictated that I speak so. After awhile, it becomes automatic. It helps to learn the thought process from the ground up!:)

amethyst

At our school, most of the ballet teachers have us call them "miss first name" whether they are married or not. The only exception is the ballet mistress who insists on Miss "last name". She told us that she feels it is more respectful for us to address her this way. I agree that you need to find out what each teacher prefers and conform to his or her wishes.

Victoria Leigh

A couple of anecdotes, just to show how strong the tradition is in the professional world. When I was in ABT, Lucia Chase was the Artistic Director. When I had my first contract meeting with her, she said "Oh do call me Lucia". Well, I had a really hard time with that! I had been brought up to have enormous respect for anyone in her position, and it was just not right to be addressing this famous and most important woman as "Lucia"! After being there a few years, it did become a bit easier, however ;)

The other is that my students have always addressed me as Miss Leigh. When they graduate and become professional dancers, or move on to other areas in their lives, I do tell them that it is quite acceptable to now address me as Victoria. However, it is so ingrained, that they just don't do it, even the two who have been principal dancers for years and are now retired! They are over 30 years old and still calling me Miss Leigh! :)

Actually I feel very strongly about this particular tradition, although I have often rebelled against a few of the other ones in the ballet world. ;) Calling a ballet teacher by a first name, even with a Miss in front of it, just does not seem appropriate at all to me.

Guest ballet_shalom_forever

I do agree, that it becomes a habit and its just hard to break and you feel that if you break it, it's like you are taking away from the respect you have for your teacher!

My teacher is called my her first name (with a miss in front) and truthfully, students don't respect her as much. I think it has a lot to do with the fact she isn't strict and we dont bow in the beggining of the class (only sometimes at the end) among other things, but I do think that if she asked for her last name or at least the first letter like Miss Leigh sais, would be more appropriate and students will respect her more (and trust me there IS room for more respect in her classroom;) ).

bs

Guest pavlovadancer

Hmm...interesting topic, there. Just to tell my story...I call my ballet teacher by her last name, with a ms. Ms Pa..(not telling for privacy ;)). Anyway, she married a couple years ago, so she should be Mrs Ta... But we still call her Ms Pa.. to avoid confusion. When I lived in England (this goes way back, I don't know how I remember these things...), I also called my ballet teacher by her last name, with a mrs instead. So I don't really know the different levels of respect which are commanded by using certain names. However, where I come from, for things-outside-of-class, we call people Uncle/Auntie (first name here), as this is considered the ultimate mark of respect. When I first came back from England, it was very hard for me to say Uncle/Auntie. They weren't my relatives! But after awhile it came pretty naturally, though even now I have to consiously make an effort to say Auntie/Uncle.

Guest Enterprisecdr

I've gone to a Performing Arts Junior High (I'm currently in a Performing Arts High School) and one of my teachers there teaches at the studio I go to. At school I always address them by Ms. xxx or Mr. xxx (last name). At the studio the teachers prefer that we address them as Ms. (first name) and we have two male teachers at the studio who are perfectly fine with us using their first names. The younger ones (5 year olds) call them Mr. (first name). When we have guest teachers/artists come, I always call them Ms./Mr. (last name). I guess it's born out of habit. :confused: :cool:

-kat

Victoria Leigh

I believe that your regular teachers should be afforded the same respect as guest teachers. Since it seems that EVERYONE always addresses guest teachers as Miss XXX, Mrs. YYY, or MR. ZZZ, then why should it be different with your regular teachers? I understand in some cases that they are choosing it, I just happen to feel that that is a mistake.

Guest dancelover721

My teacher goes by her first name.

Libby