Ballet Talk for Dancers

Knees, knees, and knees!

Guest tigger_fan_ann

Guest tigger_fan_ann

Hey everyone! This may sound silly but I was wondering why my knees seem to stick out no matter how hard I try to straighten it... especially when I make aq grand jet, tour jete, and turns. It's kinda annoying coz I look like a dancing duck sometimes! :)

You may be hypOextended - in other words, your knee joints reach full travel "in front" of straight. If the problem is skeletal, there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. If it's based in soft tissue, which is much more common, then it's just a matter of straightening the leg as much as you do at barre exercises while in the center. It's just a matter of strength and technique.

• Administrators

There are a couple of things you can do to help you straighten the knees. One would be to work with a theraband or resistaband. Sit on the floor and place the theraband around the foot the same way that you do to work on the feet with flexing and pointing. When you flex the foot really press the knee down to the floor. Another way, if you do not have a theraband, would be to get a rubber ball, place it under the knee, flex the foot and press on the ball like you are trying to flatten it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tigger_fan_ann

oh... so maybe it's my bones! I'm really thin... I mean Im 14 and I my waistline's still 23! and my knees aren't soft! They're bones! I was just scared coz I've never seen people with really bony knees. I thought I was weird or something... or maybe I reall am... thanks!:D