Ballet Talk for Dancers

Puberty and strength

ifnotwhynot

Sometimes, it has to do with being out-of-shape, and that is NOT necessarily weight-related. Kids who look like they are struggling to hold their extensions; kids who fall off balance easily; kids who go through the motion of the movement, but without any muscular reaction; kids who appear frail; kids who tire easily; kids who make movement look difficult; kids who have a more soft muscle quality as opposed to muscular definition. Those are all the kinds of things that can be strength-related.

If someone is saying to focus on conditioning, then that's a pretty clear clue that the body is not yet physically in shape. Again- may have NOTHING to do with a number on a scale, but simply that a dancer needs to work on her muscle defition (typically lengthening as in the type of muscle that is usually built through proper ballet training), endurance, and stamina.

Sometimes, it has to do with being out-of-shape, and that is NOT necessarily weight-related. Kids who look like they are struggling to hold their extensions; kids who fall off balance easily; kids who go through the motion of the movement, but without any muscular reaction; kids who appear frail; kids who tire easily; kids who make movement look difficult; kids who have a more soft muscle quality as opposed to muscular definition. Those are all the kinds of things that can be strength-related.

Clara76, do you believe that, generally speaking, all the above elements can improve with increased strength?

kids who have a more soft muscle quality as opposed to muscular definition.

I thought that muscular definition wasn't a 'desirable' quality for a dancer. My DD (12.5 years) has not got the same musular definition of some of her classmates, despite doing over 20 hours a week of dance related activity in a residential setting. Are children who do not develop this musculature, less strong? And if so, is it possible that they have a body type that somehow doesn't/won't develop muscle in the same way as the stronger children? Is this a puberty issue?

I think you may be confusing muscle definition with over-developed muscles. :)

Clara76, do you believe that, generally speaking, all the above elements can improve with increased strength?

Yes. Especially core strength. It can be a combination of things too, which means that sometimes you have to take a multi-tiered approach. If she is at a residential school, I would trust that they are addressing the issue and do not expect anything from you as a parent.

kids who have a more soft muscle quality as opposed to muscular definition.

I thought that muscular definition wasn't a 'desirable' quality for a dancer. My DD (12.5 years) has not got the same musular definition of some of her classmates, despite doing over 20 hours a week of dance related activity in a residential setting. Are children who do not develop this musculature, less strong? And if so, is it possible that they have a body type that somehow doesn't/won't develop muscle in the same way as the stronger children? Is this a puberty issue?

If a child has an extremely flexible body, they will take longer to develop. Since the dancer is in a residential setting, I would reassure her that the strength will come, and to keep working on the corrections her teachers are giving her.

I think you may be confusing muscle definition with over-developed muscles. :)

Yes! Exactly, ceecee!!

Thanks, Clara 76. I am confident that my DD is getting the right training and attention regarding her strength, and I think she knows what it means and looks like. I just didn't have a good picture in my own mind (as a non dancer). She's certainly not weak, so I think they are more subtle (but significant) things they are working on at her residential school. Interesting that you mention flexibility--she is extremely flexible; especially in her back.