Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancincorgi

Reading Ballet Talk on a mobile device

dancincorgi

Can someone who checks Ballet Talk on their mobile device tell me if they have figured out how to jump to the most recent post, the way you can on the full site? Or is there not a way to do that?

I've been enjoying how BT now works on my mobile device since the switch in formats and I bet I'm not the only one who likes to check for new posts this way! :)

SewRibbons

Well, the way I do it is, rather than clicking the little arrow on the right side, I click the little dot on the left side. There is not always a dot - only when there is new content. Also, sometimes the dot is a star; I'm still trying to figure out if that means its a hot topic, my own topic, or a topic I am following. Usually by clicking the dot, it will take me straight to the end of the string. I'm not sure if it takes me to the last post or the last unread post (which is often the same thing for me.) Its not foolproof, though. For some reason, it does not work on certain strings, such as the Who's Going for PNB. Even when I hit the dot, it takes me to the very first post in the string and I have to toggle through all the pages to get to the end. I'm curiuos to know if others have better ways. Great question; I've wondered about it myself! (And sorry about the small font here; I don't know why it is so and I can't seem to change it.)

Edited by Victoria Leigh
Font change - got it better, but not right.

mum2qtd

I have an iPhone and have noticed the same limitation and end up going to the full site for long threads or just paging through to the end. I just tried the dot link and that keeps taking me to the first page.

There is a link for an app to download - I thought maybe the app would be more robust. But the link fails and I can't find the app via a manual search either.

dancincorgi

Great, SewRibbons! I just tried that and it worked! I think it took me to the last unread post which is perfect. Can't believe I hadn't tried clicking the "dot" before. Wish I could help you with the small font issue! But I don't have a clue!

lovemydancers

SewRibbons, regarding the small font, check to make sure the subscript or superscript buttons are not activated. For some reason when I reply to a topic the default when I start typing is sometimes one of those or the strikethrough style. :shrug: At first I thought I just bumped it, but now it has happened several times. Just click that style button to deactivate.

ascballerina

Well, the way I do it is, rather than clicking the little arrow on the right side, I click the little dot on the left side. There is not always a dot - only when there is new content. Also, sometimes the dot is a star; I'm still trying to figure out if that means its a hot topic, my own topic, or a topic I am following.

I believe if you have posted on a thread, you will see a star there, whether or not you are "following" the topic.

ceecee

I have a Blackberry & I cannot log on to Ballet Talk! The message I get is that I do not have permission to view the page. Could it be an email thing? My Blackberry email is different from the email registered with Ballettalk.

gav

ceecee, I've had that problem on a BB before (using the Opera Mini browser). The issue was just that I had been logged out of the site, not that my emails didn't match. My BB and BTFD emails don't match either, and I fixed it.

Don't try to log in using the "Sign In" button on the top-right corner of the BTFD page. Instead, click on "View New Content". You'll get a message saying that you do not have permission to use the search system (which is true, since you're not logged in), but there's a "Click here to log in" link just below and that will take you to a sign in page that should work.

gasguzzler

What is the adult dancers buddy board? Where can it be found? How is it used?

dancemaven

The Adult Ballet Students' Buddy Board can be found on the Index Page where all the Forums are listed. Simply go up to the Banner under the Ballet Talk for Dancers logo and hit the 'Forum's button.

You can peruse the threads and get an idea what it is used for and how it is used. It is for the Adult Student Dancers.

gasguzzler

Oh, o.k. thanks. (I guess that's really not for me.) It is taking me a while to get the hang of this (The first and only website on which I have ever posted) and understand all the acronyms and jargon. I wonder what a PTA is and if there is a place on this site that explains all these things that I have not yet encountered.

dancemaven

Check out the Stickies in the How to Do Things Forum and the Rules and Policies Forum.

Actually, when I first came here, I found it very helpful to go to the Forums Index page, review the various Forums (especially the Stickies), enter various Forums, scroll through the various topics, and dropping in to read those threads whose titles caught my interest.

Periodically, I still do that----often when I'm procrastinating, but still . . . Lol

gasguzzler

Oh this is my new wonderful place to procrastinate! Thanks.

Pierrette
SewRibbons, regarding the small font, check to make sure the subscript or superscript buttons are not activated. For some reason when I reply to a topic the default when I start typing is sometimes one of those or the strikethrough style. :shrug: At first I thought I just bumped it, but now it has happened several times. Just click that style button to deactivate.

I sometimes use my iPhone to read forum posts (not to respond). My Safari browser opens when I click the link in my emails. But lately, the font that shows up is "engraved" and, thus, pretty pale. It used to be nice, black font. Any ideas? Since I'm just reading and not replying, there are no font settings.

Mulberry

I normally read and search the site on my mobile which automatically presents the site in 'mobile' version. Yesterday I chose the option to change to 'full version' when prompted so that I could write a post. Now I can't find the option to change back anywhere! Any ideas?