Ballet Talk for Dancers

dress rehearsal

balletbelle

Is it true that if the dress rehearsal is horrible, then the performance will be wonderful?:rolleyes: I hope so!:rolleyes: We had a tough rehearsal tonight. The recitals are on Friday and Saturday nights. Wish us luck! (we need it:rolleyes: )

• Administrators

It's a superstition, balletbelle, so who knows if it is true or not! I think that perhaps sometimes it does work that way, but it's probably more a case of learning from the dress rehearsal and making it better in the performance :rolleyes:

Guest dancergal

That is a superstition. Sometimes with us when our dress rehearsal is good, our performance is outstanding, but then again when our dress rehearsal is good, our performance can be bad too. But don't think about the superstition... just dance your hardest so you can make the real performance be better than the dress rehearsal.

-dancergal

I've seen just about every variation on this that can be worked. Good dress, bad show; bad dress, good show, bad dress, bad show, and so on.

One show I was in had a terrible dress rehearsal, and opened beautifully. Then, in the run, it went downhill from there! Another had a great dress rehearsal, and the curtain didn't go up on the second act! The audience was ready to kill us!

We had our 3 shows this weekend and they all went absolutely wonderfully! :D I guess the bad dress rehearsal opened our eyes to what we needed to make the show great!

Guest dancergal

That's great to hear!! :D It's good to know that having a bad dress rehearsal made all of you push yourselves harder to achieve a better performance.

-dancergal