Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pulling dancers out of school

SewRibbons

Ballet_Mage

I am in Balletballetballetballet's boat. My DD will be attending a new Pre-pro next year (we have grownup in a small hometown studio). She will be a junior next year. We were unable to get her high school to work with us on early release or much of anything else. We will be moving to online public school education next year to accommodate the new dance school's schedule and our new demanding travel time. She was in an academically rigorous IB school and I worry that the change will affect both her learning potential and future academic prospects, but my DD has no reservations. She has counseled both her parents that dance is now and can be fleeting but this is her path. She promises that her brain isn't going anywhere. I would love to see where we all are at the end of the academic school year coming up.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ballet_Mage

• ballet1310

• kiwiwdancer

• dancemaven

When our daughter moved out of state to dance she had to leave her school and do online schooling instead. I have to say for her it hasn't been ideal. She really loved school and was academically advanced, she has always loved learning. She however does not enjoy online school. It's boring and just tedious, not difficult but I can tell her love for academics has faded. She is 16 and is now on a mission to just finish high school as soon as possible, which is the up side of online schooling. She can go at her own pace so she will graduate early. That being said as a mom of a academically gifted child I am saddened to see her love for learning dulled and I am not sure if I had it to do over that I would have made the same choice, but we live and learn.

We have a block schedule at my sophomore's high school, and we are arranging an early dismissal next year through his gifted program so that my son can attend additional classes at a second studio. It will be every other day because of the block schedule, and the master teacher at this second studio is willing to work with this schedule, luckily. I haven't yet looked into whether or not we could get two early dismissals his senior year, but I think it is possible. Have you looked into your school's gifted and talented resources or considered an IEP (Independent Educational Plan)? We don't have to do an IEP to get early dismissal, but I think one might help.

Our school also allows students to take gym at 7:00 in the morning or during the summer, to give kids more flexibility. Health can be taken over the summer, too. So, my son has been able to finish credits for two semester-long classes during the summer. He wouldn't do on-line courses for his core classes, but it was the perfect choice for health.

But it sounds like some block schedules are really complicated. Good luck!

Ballet_Mage

Monet - You are voicing my fear. My DD's passion for dance burns bright and I want her to have a chance to explore her full potential, but..... she thrives on academic challenge and has a thirst for learning. She has been surrounded by gifted students that compete to be number 1 in their academic classes. If the online program is too easy she will get bored. And I worry the love of learning may tarnish. Its hard when she's just 15 to say I need to let go and let her find her way. She will have a high school education, just not the one "I" envisioned.

Ballet_Mage

min- I will look into the IEP (I always thought of that as for those with challenges in learning). She would love it if she could just leave early instead. May be I need to keep moving up the ladder of administration until I find the right ear but for now, we have started the online registration process.

Ballet Mage,

It may vary from state to state, but IEPs are used for gifted and talented education. There are websites (just google IEP and gifted) that will explain how gifted IEPs work. They will also tell you that you have to be the squeaky wheel to get the process oiled and moving. Our school district tries to avoid IEPs by proactively making gifted education pretty flexible. So, we haven't had to explore IEPs personally.

Musicians and dancers can be designated as gifted and talented regardless of academic test scores, though criteria may vary from state to state. In any case, you should try moving up the ladder and also try meeting with your g & t teachers.

Good luck!

One other point about early dismissal from high schools, public high schools at least--kids are dismissed early all of the time for a variety of reasons, such as vocational training, internships or work-experience, sports participation, enrollment in university classes, etc. It's not that unusual. Someone must surely know how to make it work for dancers! Do keep asking.

ballet1310
Hi Balletballetballetballet ,

My first question would be , how old is your daughter/ what grade is she in ? I would try to keep her in "regular" school for as long as possible - This is my dd's first year online schooling ( she is a sophmore) as it was impossible to get the pre-pro training she needed and stay in a regular school. I do know people who have gotten early dismissal but depending on your dd's commute there may still not be time for homework etc.

To say online has been a challenge this year is putting it mildly .... it is a learning curve for me and I would have done things differently at the beginning of the school year but the hardest thing is getting my dd to do all the work - she is a great student, always has been and loves to learn but..... between commuting 4 hours a day 6 days a week , rehearsals etc dedicating the study/work time has been challenging. If you go for the online option, feel free to message me and I can give you some more in depth insight :)

autumnrose

Re: Ballet_Mage's comment about "academic prospects"-my DD is finishing HS "on line" after being in an IB diploma school up through junior year with excellent grades and a very high class rank. Although this last year's school choice didn't end up affecting her final decision, I do believe the colleges she applied to with the most selective admission requirements may not have been excited about the "on-line" choice. Did some of the schools see the hard work, discipline, and organizational skills used to complete the on-line studies-absolutely! But, it might be good to weigh as part of your decision that the school granting the HS diploma could potentially matter....hopefully not, but it could if your DK is or becomes more academically focused. So, if the school will work with you on an early release, that might be a great option, at least for now or as long as you can manage it!

Ballet_Mage

Thank you autumnrose. You all have given me more things to think about and ways to work toward a brick and mortar compromise.

ballet1310

Ballet_mage,

I was just looking back at your post ... If [you] can keep her in school that's best but one of the program's my dd is doing is very challenging , very difficult work .... Which has its pros and cons - depends on the online program you choose

Ballet_Mage, if you do decide to look into on line schooling be sure to see if the high school she attends now offeres an on line program. My daughter does her on line schooling through the high school in our district the one her siblings attend even though she no longer lives in the state. The good thing about this is she will still graduate with a diploma from her high school and can even come home to walk in graduation if she chooses. We have also set her up with a tutor in her area just so she has an actual person to connect with and this way she is also able to do honors or advanced classes. Again it is not ideal but it is working. Feel free to message me with any questions you may have.

Ballet_Mage

Monet, yours sounds like our option. It is online but still through her district high school. When I reach a more substantive membership level I would love the opportunity to message you. Thank you for the offer.

Another option if you want more flexibility is to see if there are any independent study programs around you. My DD goes to school 3 partial days per week for her core classes and all of her work is done at home. It has worked out well for her because she goes into class weekly but they are very flexible and encourage the kids to be independent and make their own choices. It may be worth exploring.