Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pulling dancers out of school

SewRibbons

ballet1310
Balletballetballetballet

It's a lot to think about - I totally understand, was stressful and frankly still stressful. I would go to your school first and see if they can accommodate in any way, if not then online may be only option. There are some schools that are taken more seriously then others - if you want to message me, feel free - I'm not expert but I can at least give you some of my experiences. My daughters commute is anywhere from 1:30 - 2 hours each way. Not easy but we are making it work. I think it's a valid concern for all of us that online school to wonder how colleges will accept their schooling but most girls we know that are at a certain level of ballet training have no choice..... - just trying to keep her classes serious, her grades high and if she ends up going to college ( if not in a company etc) than have faith that they will see the value of how these kids have been dedicated, hard working etc....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ballet_Mage

• ballet1310

• kiwiwdancer

• dancemaven

Tinydancer5678

Maybe this is for another thread, but like ballet1310, I am also curious to know how college accept online schooling? If anyone can link or advise a specific thread, it would be much appreciated.

autumnrose

Hi, tinydancer5678. As I mentioned, my DD has recently been through the college application process, which was going to be her "plan B", so it wasn't critical to her that she get into the most competitive schools, although she did apply to several "reaches". She had great grades and a very high class rank from an IB school before going to a respected on-line program for her last HS year. Her standardized test scores were also very much above average. Her on-line courses included AP and college level "dual credit". We did have several surprises during the college admission process that made us question how her on-line schooling appeared to the colleges she applied to, including a "conditional acceptance" from our very competitive state flagship school if she would agree to go to a less competitive state school for a year and keep a B average. Questions about the standardized test scores and grades of other students in her "graduating class" (how some colleges judge the rigor of the applicant's high school) were part of the application to many of the more competitive programs. Even though it might have had nothing to do with deciding to leave her traditional school and even though she would not have chosen those programs in the end, it did make us wonder. If you can juggle your traditional program (getting out early, taking an on-line course as part of your traditional schedule) with your ballet training needs, it may be the best of both worlds if you think you may be interested in applying to some of the more selective college programs in the future.

Tinydancer5678

Thank you, autumnrose. My young dd loves school and excels so we hate to consider online, it's something that has crossed our minds. While we still have plenty of time and hurdles ahead, it's still good to hear from others who have experience.

dancemaven

For all things college related, your best source (other than the individual college admissions departments themselves) is the College Confidential Board. If you haven't found it yet, I highly recommend that you become a member there and start reading. There is a wealth of information and first-hand experience on that board regarding college admissions, as well as anything else related to college prep, attendance, issues, and experiences.

Just be aware that College Confidential isn't moderated as closely as BTFD and there is a lot of garbage on there. Weed through and there is some good information. During our dd's application process, she found that some schools were going to be fits and some weren't. A phone call to admissions provided a lot of information for her. If a school requires something that on-line education can't provide, then move on. There are plenty of good educational options out there. The general rule that we followed was for her to use whatever situation she was in (whether brick and mortar, international curriculum or online) to her best advantage and challenge herself as much as possible in each situation.

ballet1310

Hii Swanchat - can I ask if your dancer did online for most of high school ? Right now we don't have an option of brick and mortar and her online schooling is actually very challenging and right in line with whather peers are learning ( in some course it's even beyond what they are learning) but I'm getting nervous - lol - that's not new. Any other insight is appreciated :)

dancemaven

I won't debate the value (or not) of College Confidential, but having visited it during the relevant times for both daughters, I found that the information that I pooh-poohed the first time around as being over-dramatic or nuts was, in actuality much more accurate than I first thought. For the second round (second daughter), I took the information available much more seriously and our younger daughter benefited from the information those folks provided, information I was more inclined to discount the first time around with older daughter.

Yes, as with all on-line communities, things must be take with a grain (and sometimes, a block) of salt, but if you read enough and get to know posters' posting personalities, agendas, quirks, viewpoints, perspectives, you can learn a lot of information. It certainly, collectively, provides you with a lot of the questions you may need to research that you probably hadn't thought about---especially if your last experience with college applications were when you attended. It is quite a different game these days---depending on what your child's goals are.

And it covers college issues much more extensively than we are able to do here on BT4D, which is focused on ballet.

dancemaven

I think we may be getting way :offtopic: here (me, included). So, let's please re-visit the opening post here and see if we can get back on topic. :D

We have innumerable threads on cyber, on-line schooling, so let's not turn this one into yet one more. :thumbsup: