Ballet Talk for Dancers

2012 Dance Camps

Haven't seen a thread yet this year, or any reviews from last year... is anyone going to one of the Sunking camps this year?

Schedule for 2012 is here: http://sunkingdance.com/schedule.htm

I mentioned Saratoga semi-seriously to my boyfriend and now he has a whole trip planned around horse racing and other sports, so looks like I'll finally be attending. :)

• 2 weeks later...

How exciting for you Kendra! I would love to attend the Saratoga one as well but I just don't think I'll be able to swing it financially this year. My two dd's will be attending our home studio's summer camps which is probably more important than Mom going to dance camp just for the "fun" of it :whistling: . Now if I could only win the lottery...than we can all go to dance camp :wink: .

• 2 weeks later...

I almost did the Saratoga one last year and am glad I didn't have the funds at the time, I just sent in my app for the Vancouver (Portland OR) one this year! I'm on the west coast so this is much cheaper for me, flight wise. It's the first year in this location, so I hope there's enough turn out for it to go.

• 1 month later...

Hey all-

I haven't been very active here in recent months, but I'm going to the June camp as usual (it will be my sixth time - I may be the oldest one there for once?). I'm also going to the July camp in Vancouver WA, since it's much closer and I've been dropping heavy hints to Heidi for years about a West Coast camp!

Well at least I'll know one person! Sort of. :-) Olddude I'm surprised it sold out already, clearly there was a demand for a west coast camp.

Well at least I'll know one person! Sort of. :-) ...

June camp is a very friendly community, you'll be an old-timer by the end of the week!
  • 4 weeks later...

I go every year and this is the first year I'm thinking of not going because of money and it's making me sad :(

I may go to Saratoga camp instead of Richmond this year, but it sure is expensive!

Do people fly into NYC and then take the train???

Can those of you going to the Vancouver camp please report back with as much detail as possible? Can't do it this year due to moving... but oh, moving will make it oh-so-close for me. Still gutted I've never gone to Richmond, although the drive is not far... :(

Looking forward to my first ever Dance Camp at Richmond in under two weeks. Not bad at 57 having only danced for just over two years but can't wait for the experience of a whole week of classes. Last summer I had daily classes for two weeks at Dance Base in Edinburgh but nothing like the program SunKing promises. Look forward to meeting you all in Richmond.

Do people fly into NYC and then take the train???

The website says Albany is the closest big airport (and the train to Saratoga seems to go through there, as well). The Saratoga tourism website (http://discoversaratoga.org/transportation.asp) has links to flight/train/bus info.

I live in Montreal so I am taking the train down from there, but I doubt that's any faster or cheaper than going through NYC (and probably more hassle unless you're Canadian).

June camp is in a week. Anyone arriving early? I usually fly in on Thursday to adapt to the jet lag, so I'll be around Friday and Saturday if anyone wants to chat. Leave a message at the Crowne Plaze, my real-life name is Paul Joppa.

Talk about chance, was just looking up on SunKing the other day - nice to see a thread!

I might be going to Saratoga - I definitely really want to, and it is only about 4 hours away from where I live. So we shall see :) it will be based on whether or not I'll have the budget for it. But very much seriously considering. Not everyday you get a quality adult ballet intensive, afterall (And meet people who have the same passion, at that)

• 4 weeks later...

Vancouver camp was wonderful - the energy and community of the other camps built very quickly, I thought. Of course (this belongs on the brag board!) I got to do both pas de deux performances due to an unanticipated shortage of men, so I had an extra-good time! Excellent studios, the hotel was not as nice as in Richmond but close, many fun small restaurants in the area, etc. Two of three teachers were from the usual crew so the classes were pretty consistent with what we expect. The new teacher brought a somewhat more contemporary movement style which took some getting used to but I found it very rewarding - and she set some really, really great choreography for the rep and variations. Extra classes included pirouettes (as usual), transitions, and port de bras - very helpful for most of us. I'm going next year for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

I can verify that olddude was a rockstar at the Vancouver camp. We were very glad to have his help for partnering! (Paul I'm Leslie K if you're wondering.)

This was my first camp experience and I think I'm hooked. I did the full day, and anticipated level 3B but was placed in 4. From what I heard, it was an easier 4 than would be expected on the east coast, for whatever reason. The teachers were fabulous and each had something unique to offer, and they really outdid themselves with the choreo. I absolutely loved the rep, variation, and partnering, as well as the character piece that was added since we learned it so quickly. The work didn't seem to be dumbed down for adult recreational students, I mean it was appropriate for the skill levels but the technical meat was there. I found it very challenging, although I did choose to do it all on pointe.

The campers were some of the most entertaining, warm, funny, caring, and energetic people I've ever met. Just a super friendly environment the whole week. The hotel was so-so, but as nice as to be expected for the location and price. There wasn't a dance store nearby, but some of the locals helped people out with trips into Portland (20 min or so). There was a bit of a scramble the night before performance for colored leotards, the gear we had been asked to bring turned out to not be so great with the black backdrops in the studio. There were enough local food options, although Portland would have been better, and the organized trips were very nice to have as well (grocery store and an outing for 4th of July fireworks). The daily lunches were outstanding.

Scott Putman's almost daily EBAS class was amazing, and it was so nice to have the time for classes like pirouettes, transitions, modern, character, and port de bras. As well as the PT workshop. Partnering was absolutely the high though, I'd never had a chance to try it before. It took some getting used to but was a blast! Heidi said she hopes to line up more male dancers for next year, those poor guys had to rotate through a LOT of women. They were all totally professional though.

Overall I'd say it was a huge sucess, for the first year in a new city to have it go off with the relatively minor issues we had. Heidi even lined up a massage therapist who had a room at the studio to work on us. I used his services twice and could have easily used 2 more! Towards the end of the week I was getting by with twice daily foot soaks in cold water and ice in the hotel sink. I have no idea how I danced for so many hours a day, even with working up to it, but the experience was amazing and I hope to repeat it every year.