Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pirouettes en Pointe

Guest Michy

Guest Michy

Allright Ms. Leigh and Major Mel, I'm in need of some help here! These past few months I feel like my pirouettes en pointe have become gradually worse, and considering I leave in a week for my SI, I am practically freaking out about them. I feel like I get up en pointe fine, but then without even meaning to it's almost like I hop off of pointe onto demi pointe. Now, I know that you obviously cannot see me do them and tell me what I am doing wrong, but any helpful tips or general pointers (no pun intended!) would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Michy,

This forum is designated for Pointe Shoe topics only. Since your question is a technique question, I will be moving your thread to the Young Dancers 16 - 22 Topic.

• Administrators

Hard to know, Michaela. It could be any number of things, from having your weight too far back to broken shoes. I'm afraid your teacher will need to determine what is happening there. Most often when people come off pointe it is a weight placement thing, but it could also be just a lack of confidence, or not using the quads and getting the knee straight, letting the back muscles drop, etc.

And then there's always the old bugaboo, throwing yourself into the pirouette so hard, you knock yourself off pointe! But spend some time with your teacher after class and see what s/he can do!

Guest Anna

hey,

i used to have good and bad days with pirouettes. i told my teacher and she watched me closely and decided that my weight wasn't in the right place when i turned- it wasn't over the ###### of my feet- and that is why i couldn't do a nice clean turn, ending neatly. Ask your techer to watch you and she might be able to tell you what to do- it worked for me!!

Hope this was some sort of help!!!

Anna

Guest Colleen

if you're having significant trouble with your turns i'd suggest not practicing on your own at all until your teacher has had an opportunity to watch you in class. a week ago i was pushing myself too hard, under supervison, to get perfect triples on pointe and through my frustration ended up throwing myself off pointe very badly. instead of coming down through demi-pointe, or somewhat less gracefully off the side of my foot, i ended up falling forward over my toes such that i pulled all three ligaments across the front of my ankle. it was VERY painful. and it all could've been avoided had i simply asked my teacher to give me pointers instead of just getting angrier at myself.

Guest Michy

Colleen, Thank you for the advice! I am definently not practicing here at home on pointe, but if I did I guess it would be allright because my mom is one of my ballet teachers! :D but I am being very careful.