Ballet Talk for Dancers

The Rock School/RAPA

Hi! I will be a freshman next year and am looking for a high school to study ballet seriously to hopefully become a professional dancer. I am auditioning for several other schools. I have not attended the rock before but some of my classmates have been to their 1 week or two week summer program. I will be auditioning this year for the summer and academic year. I am wondering how difficult it is to get into their academic program. If I get into the academic year and plan on attending I will also go to their 5 week summer. Any experience or other helpful information would be greatly appreciated! :)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tsavoie

• cahill

• ckmerr

• swanchat

Top Posters In This Topic

Savannah, the first 10 pages of this thread should get you a good start while you are waiting on more replies! Happy reading. :). Let us know what specific questions yu still ave after reading the thread. :thumbsup:

learningdance

We were just at the Rock to do YAGP classes after the Phillie comp. DD is 10 so it's not on our radar screen but I ended up meeting the Academics Director, a Ph D in Science Edu and very personable. She told me that the program costs about 10,.000 for just the academics and they use Keystone Online High School. She had a very professional pamphlet that compared Rock students' test scores to the national averages. The Rock building is gorgeous. We were drooling. Beautiful, brightly colored public spaces with big windows. A large café. Several classrooms for academics and lovely studios. The whole building is wired. There was security guard and 4 really nice locker rooms and a weight room for guys. There was also a "quiet room" for parents to do work. I was impressed with the physical space. The Rock Academics director told me that students dance about 5-6 hours per day.

• 4 months later...
BalletBunhead

I was recently accepted to The Rock School for the year-round program! :D It is very expensive, so I was wondering how academic and residence scholarships are awarded. The website says that a contract letter will be sent in the mail including notification of artistic or academic scholarships, but where does one apply for a residence scholarship?

Also, what is the acceptance rate? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
CYBallet11

Towards the end of the summer program, you and your parents can schedule a conference with the Directors to discuss the details of attending the year round program. Scholarships will be addressed at that time. :-) Congratulations!!!

• 5 months later...

Can anyone explain the audition process for the year round program? Do I need to set up and appointment, and if so, when? I will not be attending the summer program.

• 3 months later...
carlyeeeeee

On the website, the annual tuition is 20,000. Does anyone know if there are additional fees?

emtheballerina

Housing is 20000. Tuition is seperate and additional fees are costs for YAGP and things like that.

• 1 month later...

Many of the in-depth reviews of this program are 5 to 10 years old. Are there any members out there with more recent experiences here, particularly those who have resided there and/or participated in the academics? It looks as if most posters' children have graduated...

DD has been training here for several years and does live in the dorm. With regard to cost, as mentioned earlier, $20,000 is room/board. Tuition for dance this year was $6000 for dancers in the pre-professional program. There is a small fee for performances like Nutcracker and Showcase and YAGP is about $1500-2500 depending on how many pieces the dancer performs. Blance, what other current info were you looking for? Happy to answer questions.

The price breakdown is pretty clear on the website, except for YAGP. I know that's a big thing there, and it seems like many students participate. Are the students chosen to compete, or do they choose to participate? Also, what is the age range for dancers in each of the top three levels (4, 5, and 6, I think)? It looks like students in all of these levels have classes throughout the day... I know potential auditioners can send a video; do you know if everyone who sends one comes for an in-person audition, too? Hope that's not too many questions!

Not too many questions at all. I know it's hard to make decisions when it comes to sending the kids off....more info is always better!

YAGP is a bigger thing at the upper levels, than lower. Anyone can participate. As I said, it is about $1500-2500 depending on how many pieces, plus you need to provide any tutus or costumes that are needed. That is just for the semi final regional competition. If they make it to NYC final, you are basically doing it all over again, and charged accordingly. The upper levels are based on ability, not age. Level 6 could have someone as young as 13 or 14 up to age 21/22. Yes, at these levels the dancers dance in the morning and early evening and they rehearse in between....so it is about 6-8 hour of dance...not always, but often (usually 6hrs). I know that is a lot of dancing, but it is one of the reasons my DD stayed at Rock. They get good because they dance a lot and are being coached a lot! I am sorry I can not answer any audition questions as my daughter has always danced at Rock.

I was just reading through posts about another program, and found another question. What is the injury rate like (not numbers, obviously, but are there often injuries, seldom injuries--maybe just a ballpark of who is sitting out and when, and what is the teachers/directors approach injured students)? How would this be handled for residential students?

Hard for me to gauge if the injury rate is comparable to other schools, since DD has always been at Rock. They dance a lot.....so they do occur, but it seems to be the same issue on the same person. For example, one girl has always had issues with her foot, so from time to time she is down for that. It doesn't seem excessive to me. How the teachers/directors respond to it sometimes depends on the case. I know of one kid who was sort of lazy to start with and everyone knew it....her sitting out didn't go over very well. However, the hard workers, who never skip class....when they sit out it is understood. The residence chaperones take the kids to drs. appts and PT. I don't know how they determine which drs however. Since we live an hour away from school, if DD needed to see MD, I took her myself. School did take her to PT......everyone sees the same PT, who specializes in Ballet. Hope that helps.

emtheballerina

How does your daughter like the academic program? My parents are kind of on the fence about it because the keystone online school doesn't have very good reviews.