Ballet Talk for Dancers

The Rock School/RAPA

Actually, that is not true. My DD was there for the last 4 years and did not participate at all in the RAPA program or even use Keystone for her online learning. We were completely independent and it worked out just fine.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tsavoie

• cahill

• ckmerr

• swanchat

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. We were told that it had not worked well in the past and would no longer be allowed. Perhaps they only meant independent schooling. Perhaps if you're part of a program with oversight, you're allowed to remain independent of RAPA. Is that the case, ckmerr?

Did the school tell you that??? That would be shocking, because it is completely not the fact. There were kids who were enrolled in various cyber schools as well as kids who were strictly homeschooled and I am not aware of any problems at all. I would be interested to know what "it didn't work out" looked like. As I said, my DD did a cyber program completely independent of RAPA and she did amazingly well. She progressed well in dance and her SAT scores were higher than most of her RAPA peers. I would ask for specific reasons why they require RAPA, except that it is a revenue center for the school....last time I checked...several thousand dollars over the base cost of Keystone Cyber School. Feel free to PM if you want more specific info.

Thank you for responding rosetwirl, but I actually just emailed the school and they said a few students did their own program

learningdance

I have a another question about RAPA. When do the kids have time to do their schooling? The daily schedule shows that they have classes starting at 10:30 am and don't appear to have breaks longer than about 1/2-1 hour throughout the day until 6:00. It appears from the schedule as if there is no dedicated time for schooling. We are thinking about this but that kind of worried me.

Very interesting, ckmerr and maplebunny! They made it doable for us, so we will not complain.

Learningdance, they do RAPA primarily in the morning, after breakfast and before their first ballet class.

The kids in RAPA are required to be over at the school, in a classroom doing their work at 8 (or 8:30) every morning and they do their work until 1030 class. My DD (not RAPA) would follow that same schedule to be disciplined and make sure she was getting her work done too. There is also a "school work" time scheduled in the afternoon, but that work time is sort of a joke. The morning study time is pretty sacred, but the afternoon time gets utilized for rehearsals A LOT. Nutcracker rehearsals start in October, YAGP rehearsals usually start in November, so you have your regular dance classes, plus rehearsals for both Nutcracker and YAGP during the day. Nutcracker ends in Dec, but YAGP goes thru Jan....and if you are competing in a different city, or make it to NYC finals,the rehearsals go on until April, at which time Gala and benefit rehearsals start. The only sacred study time is that time in the morning. Most kids struggle to stay on schedule with school work, but manage to make it up during Christmas break or Spring Break. Of course they can also work in the evenings.

learningdance

Thanks. Yep. 2.5 hours per day is not enough for my DD. This seems to be a trend at a number of schools.

• 3 months later...

They are no longer that way. Staff NEVER communicated with me. The kids are stuck up and don't even talk to their counterparts in other schools. I was very disappointed

• 5 weeks later...

Curious as to how many new students they accept every year? I'm very interested in this year round program.

learningdance

I have no stake in Rock School but I have been at events with the kids before and have had DD take classes in the building and honestly, I did not find the Rock kids to be unkind. In fact, I found them to be amazingly open and friendly. . more "normal" kids than others that I have encountered elsewhere.

• 1 month later...
carlyeeeeee

I am hoping to attend next year. I sent in a video request for an in class audition and my request was granted! So I have passed step 1. My in class audition is coming up and I am very nervous! I will take a technique and pointe class, have an interview with the artistic directors, and tour the school and the dorms. I am curious to what questions they may ask in the interview? Has anyone been through this process before? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I spent some time looking at the website but I still have a few questions;

It would appear that students are housed in apartments, with in walking distance to the school. Is this correct?

Are students are responsible for their own meals or is there a cafeteria?

Lastly, is attendance at a SI a requirement to being considered for a year round position?