Ballet Talk for Dancers

The Rock School/RAPA

One more thing on the academics. I find that my daughter does much better with the independent study. She is motivated to get her work done so she can do additional dancing. There is far less time wasted with class projects that were always so hard to arrange when they were in a "group" due to her schedule.

Sounds like at the Rock it is nice to have others around for support, questions etc. I like that is it is supervised!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tsavoie

• cahill

• ckmerr

• swanchat

Top Posters In This Topic

they eat family style in the lounge. I think at lunch the food is take out style, because of the different schedules. It is set out and they take what they want with them. Breakfast is eaten right before school and they eat dinner together. Because they actually live in apartments and not dorm rooms, I guess they call it catered. THe food is brought in for them.

cahill

Yes, maybe "catered" sounds a bit fancy. The food is prepared off site and brought in. There has been a change with the meal service after numerous complaints from the students early in the year. I understand that the school itself is more directly involved in the meal preparation. More of a dancer's diet. My daughter is quite happy with the change. They do have full kitchens so they can fill in or keep snacks of their own liking.

My daughter did audition at the school last spring. Basically, she took a regular class with the RAPA kids. Bo & Stephanie did the evaluation. They do take a few students from the summer intensive as well, if there are spots still open. We met with the Dean of Academics, toured the apartments, school, met with the Directors, etc. It was well worth the trip.

molcol

molcol

Glad your daughter is happy now with the food. I must be hard to have food brought in for that large a group plus keeping it how etc. My DD prefers fish to most meat so if it is meat and potatoes she would rather not eat at all.

How has the dorming situation worked out for your DD? Do some of the kids come knowing others or do most of the new ones start out without a network? Did you daughter go to their summer program before starting there in the fall?

Cahill

I think they eat a lot of turkey and chicken, not sure about fish. I can ask more about the meals when we talk tonight and follow up.

My daughter did attend the summer program at the Rock. She ended up rooming with a girl that she met there over the summer which helped her level of anxiety going in. I'm sure though, that many do not know anyone going in. After roommate selections are made, however, they can contact each other and discuss what to bring, etc. I think like most SI experiences we've had, the kids assimilate very quickly.

molcol

My son knew one person there, but no others. He started in one room and then moved to another,but that was due to new boys coming in, not the roommate situation. He had never been there before, but I think alot of the girls knew each other from summer programs in various places. His biggest complaint with the food in the fall was quantity, although he complained of quality also. It has been much better since about Thanksgiving. We got him a microwave to put in the kitchen. That makes snacks easier. I think he and his roommates cook on the weekends when they have more time. They discovered the Italian Market a few weeks into last sememster and go there to get all kinds of stuff-great veggies, olives, cheeses. ITs in their "allowed" area and he has been glad to shop there. There is also a whole foods market close by, plus the weekly target shopping is right next to a decent grocery.

• 1 month later...
Allegrodancer

I turned 16 a few weeks ago (sophomore), and I recently visited the RAPA program. Both my parents and I were extremely impressed with the housing set-up and the academic situation. I was accepted with a scholarship for the year, and I am seriously considering the program for next year. If it is alright, I would love to ask you a few questions.

How does your daughter find the schedule of ballet classes to academic study time? Approximately how many hours of dancing do level 4 and 5 do a day? What performance opportunities are available? I would be entering as a junior...do most of the RAPA kids start as freshmen? I was very impressed with the quality of the dancers at the school (I took a class during the visit). Do you know what summer programs RAPA kids will be attending this year?

I really wish I could attend for the summer course before making a decision, but I will be attending SAB. Any additional insight you have would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Allegrodancer :D

RAPA kids are going many places this summer-PNB,SAB, Miami City come to mind. I can find out more if you wish. LEvel 4 & 5 dance alot. THe level 5 kids can rehearse up to 5 hours per day, depending on what dances they are working on. A lot of kids go for their junior and senior years. THey seem to have performances of one type or another most weeks. The RAPA kids perform in local schools, in-house , and often outside of the school. Feel free to PM is you want more specific info.

Knock knock...

I might have misunterpreted these posts but from what I got, does this mean that I could call and schedule a date to come down and observe classes, and maybe even take an audition class? I attended the six-week intensive last summer and loved it, but was too young to stay for the RAPA program. I was looking at it this year and have friends there who love it, but wasn't sure if the summer intensive was required again.

Thank you for any help in advance:-D

I know they take some people from the summer program, and I know of several others that have made appointments to audition during the year. I would think that even if you were going to the summer program, going to view the academic/housing arrangement would be a good idea.

Allegrodancer

I believe that the directors mentioned private coaching. Is this available to all interested RAPA students?

I think the private coaching is offered on an as-needed basis. It is usually for working on problems--but I can ask if its always available. I think that the daytime classes are so small, a lot of things get corrected during them also.

• 4 weeks later...
Allegrodancer

Well, now the decision-making process is really in full swing. I was recently notified that to be guaranteed a slot for the 2005-2006, I need to send the deposit and letter of intent by May 2.

Another question: How often do the girls do pointe? How many performance opportunities are available? How does level placement work? Thank you. :yes:

Got my RAPA audition set for Thursday. Wish me luck. I really want to go if I don't get into UBA.