Ballet Talk for Dancers

The Rock School/RAPA

pointeprovider

DD attends year-round and absolutely loves it. Her improvement has been significant. If you have specific questions, you can PM me, or ask here. As with any such program, the student must have self-discipline, but, if one does, this program seems to offer excellent training.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tsavoie

• cahill

• ckmerr

• swanchat

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd is 16 and currently a RAPA jr, this is her first year at the Rock. She attended their SI last summer and it made for a great transition into the year round program. She seems to love RAPA after attending a traditional high school for 2 years. She finds the dance instruction top notch. The dorm location is excellent with the Marine Club across from the studios. At first I had my concerns about the neighborhood but the school is very clear about the geographic boundaries about where they are allowed to go. Students have curfurs and must go out in groups of three. The RAs are supportive and really enforce the rules, which are very strict. The food is catered in and very good. My dd has attended may SIs and been successful at being away for the summer, the transition for her was fine in the nurturing environment provided by the RAs, peers, instructors and acedemic dean and especially Bo and Stephanie Spassoff.

• 2 months later...
balletrocs2

Found this link posted on Ballet Talk (sister board) today. It's a Philadelphia Inquirer story about Rock students preparing for YAGP; there's also a link to a wonderfully done video:

Video about Rock School

Enjoy!

• 5 months later...
petitebattment13

Hello. I'm so very confused. On the Rock School website, there is Rock Centre and Rock West. I am unable to find the total tuition. Also, from what I've read on here, it sounds like it is located in the city. But looking at a friends pictures, it shows a big field and very big all around. :shrug: I must sound totally adrift, but can anyone clear things up a bit? Also, of course, any info would be appreciated :D

The rock centre is the main school in philadelphia. I think Rock West is in Westchester. No fields around the main school. I think you have to call to get a current cost.

pointeprovider

If you are referring to photos in the brochure, they did some photo shoots of Rock students in Philadelphia parks, although those are a few blocks away from the actual Rock Centre building, which is in a busy area with no fields immediately nearby. The current cost for RAPA (total, with no financial aid, including academics, dance, room and board) is about $34,000 per year, I think. There are separate fees for YAGP costumes and coaching, if a student does that, and costuming fees for the Nutcracker and spring shows. The other major expense would be pointe shoes for girls, and spending money, of course, which can be kept to a minimum. If one lives at a distance, travel expenses would also be a factor.

• 8 months later...

Graduating class information:

3 seniors this year:

1 quitting dance and going to college

1 going to college (? with dance or not)

1 Atlanta Ballet as trainee

• 2 months later...
pointeprovider

tydance, which year are you applying for? You could probably apply now for next year, or around March 2010. If you want to go now, they usually start in mid-September, and you could probably ask to audition for any remaining spots, if there are any.

i was thinking of applying for the 2010-2011 school year. someone said that in april all the spots were filled and there was a 20 person waiting list...do you think auditioning in dec or early jan is to early

tydance, your profile states you are a "Parent of a dancer"; yet your posts reflect an intention to apply to the Rock as a student. Are two people using the "tydance" account? If so, we will need one of you to re-register with your own account. It is a very strict BT4D policy that only one person may use an account. Everyone must have their own identity here. If you need help registering two accounts on the same computer, please check the "How To" forum.

In addition, in deference to all our English-as-a-second-language, as well as to our English-speaking members, we ask that everyone use correct English punctuation and grammar rules, and not use any type of net-speak, etc. Please do edit your posts to reflect the proper usage of punctuation, capitalization, and grammar. :)

tydance,

"Someone said" is never a good way to gather information. If you want to apply for fall, I suggest calling the school yourself and asking if they are still enrolling students. That said, I wouldn't rush into any quick decision with any school. You should ask lots of questions: Academics- what are SAT scores for the past 3-5 years, where do graduates get accepted to college, is any school time used for rehearsals, what subjects are taught, how does the school assist with teacher recommendations and guidance counseling. Dance: Who are the CURRENT faculty? What are their credentials? Where did they dance? for how long and in what capacity, corps, soloist, principal? How long have they taught? Who are students that they have taught who are now dancing in a company? How many students has the school had over the past 3 years who are currently dancing in a company? Don't be shy, ask for names. If ANY school gives you the impression that these questions are out of line, RUN don't walk from that school. There are good schools out there who are happy and proud to give you this information! Boarding/residence: what is the chaperone to student ratio? Is someone on duty 24/7? What are the credentials of the residence staff? What are the rules and policies? How are they enforced? What is the meal situation? Is there a dietician readily accessible, PT on-site, Pilates training (w/machines is best). Are there opportunities for 1)performing, 2) enhancing education-museums, symphony, etc and how bout good clean fun! Good luck, I hope you find what you need.

Thank you for all the questions I actually pasted them on to a word document, and printing it out!

^^

Ok this is actually my moms account but i don't think she even remembers it but thanks so much for telling me that i have to get a new account, i will.

• 5 months later...

does anyone know if the students still have frequent performances as were mentioned in posts a few years earlier in this discussion? I have been accepted there this summer and am interested in going for the fall! if there are any year round students on this board, what about the Rock do you like best?

• 5 months later...

I have a question...does anyone know--even approximately--how much room and board costs for year round? Thanks in advance...