Ballet Talk for Dancers

Swelling in my tendon

Guest NatDancer

Guest NatDancer

Over the past few weeks, beginning with the end of the spring term (I'm not dancing right now, we're off for a few weeks before summer :D ) and I have noticed a swelling in my achilies tendon. It is on the inside of my ankle, kind of behind my actual ankle bone, on my achilies. It is soar, but the pain I'm in is not sharp pain. This happened last year at about the same time, and I just iced...my father is a doctor, so I don't make many visits to the physician, however; my dad doesn't really look at my ankle, he just tells me to ice it. Is this tendonitis? What should I do for it?

Thanks!

Luv ya!

Natalie

Natalie, this sounds like a case of the shoemaker's children going barefoot.;) It certainly could be tendinitis, but some other things, too! Maybe you should ask your dad for a referral to one of his colleagues with a specialty in the pathologies of the bones, muscles, and cartilage of the lower legs. An orthopedist with performance medicine or at least sports medicine specialties would be good. If your dad is offended by your wanting to see another doctor, tell him you need advice from an impartial source.