Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ginniathezinnia

Ballet Schools in Virginia- Southwest/Bristol area

Ginniathezinnia

I couldn't find any information on these two schools on this forum, but they appear to be the leading pre-pro schools for my area.

The first one is Bristol Ballet, and I'm curious to know if their performing company is paid professional or unpaid.

http://www.bristolballet.org/

The second one is Virginia Highlands Center for Ballet Arts, which appears to have an apprentice company.

http://www.highlandsballet.org/

Has anyone had any experience with them? What are their companies like?

Victoria Leigh

I believe that both schools are totally student companies. I see nothing about a pro company there.

Ginniathezinnia

Thanks for checking. I will call them and post if I get more information.

Solnishka79

Ginnia,

I'm in Virginia also, albeit Northern Virginia. Not too sure about locations but have you checked into Radford U? It's a state school so the tuition would be in-state and they have a fantastic ballet program headed by two graduates of the Vaganova Acad. I have a student in the program and she absolutely loves it.

Ginniathezinnia

Thanks for the recommendation! That helps me out tremendously as I only live about an hour from there. I will look into enrollment, I applied for a college closer to home but the closest thing they've got to dance is a theater major.

I'm really excited to see this college is so close! I will go apply as soon as I can.

Solnishka79

You didn't know about Radford?? It's headed by Inessa Plakhanova (spelled her name wrong) and is fantastic!! They do a full length Nutcracker every other year and a programs of classical in between. My student performed a contemporary piece, Pas de Quatre from Bayadere, and other things. She's a rising sophomore and loves it! It's a true ballet based dance program. Good luck! Let us know!

Ginniathezinnia

somehow in all my google searching it never showed up! I think I've heard of it before but never associated it with where I live now.

I just recently moved to Virginia about two months ago so I'm still learning my way around. Thanks so much!

Solnishka79

Welcome to Virginia! I love your area...so laid back, beautiful nature. Northern Virginia is like a different state altogether. Good luck and keep us updated! Following your posts, I think this could be a good thing for you-the college experience, a good program.

Ginniathezinnia

Thank you, and I do love it here! I tried a class with Bristol Ballet recently and yes, they are a student company of very young dancers, however I felt welcomed and right at home by the other class members. The age range in their most advanced classes are eleven to seventeen.

The class was two hours, I beleive an even split between barre and center/across the floor.

The tuition is reasonable though not cheap and the teacher said arrangements can be made for the best payment methods. She was very clearcut, to the point but also nice and welcoming. If you are looking for a place to send your young teen for training, it's great.

I was looking for something more tailored for college age dancers but I wish I could've had such a place as this one when I was younger! I definitely enjoyed the class and felt good afterwards.