Ballet Talk for Dancers

Warm Up?!?!

missROjones

I am interested in how other dancer's like to warm up before class.

How do you prepare yourself mentally, physically and emotionally?

Do you have a specific routine?

Do you concentrate on specific muscle groups or joints?

Do you choose a heart revving warm up or do you prefer a relaxing warm up?

Do you use music or silence?

What's your opinion on warming up?

Do you like to warm upi with your classmates or friends or by yourself?

What's your favourite way to warm up? And your least favourite?

Do you include aerobics, stretching and strength conditioning in your warm up?

Do you use a kinesiology or Feldenkrias based warm up?

Please answer however you like! Just would love to know!!

Guest Pas de Quoi

I like to spend 30 minutes or so. I have a specific set of exercises that works for me. I use a theraband and a Mikasa ball. I do some core work, and then move on to gently articulate the feet and ankles, hips, pelvis, upper and lower back, arms, shoulders and neck. I pay particular attention to the psoas and the deep lateral rotators. I usually start lying on the studio floor and towards the end of my warm up, stand up and continue,using the barre. I prefer to focus on myself, but enjoy the companionship of fellow classmates as long as I can still concentrate on what I am doing, I can do OK in class if I have only 15 minutes to warm up. Anything less than that doesn't work for me and if I am running late I will either skip class that day, or go to an emply classroom and do my own warmup and barre and then join the class for the center work (this is acceptable in the studio where I teach my adult classes). My warm up is not aerobic - it's more like a gentle floor barre combined with some Pilates exercises and some yoga poses. I would say my warmup is definitely kinesiology based.

Interesting topic!

My warm-up varies depending on the time of day and the kind of class I'm taking. In my mind a warm-up prepares both the body and mind. The body is ready when in the summer time at least you just begin to perspire. Just about any physical activity you do will get you there. For me, including stretches and a somewhat specific routine gets my mind ready for class. In the fitness world the conventional wisdom is not to stretch as part of a warm-up because it (at least most static stretching) doesn't raise core body temperature (the physiological definition of being warmed up) and because of injury possibility (fear is our cultural norm it seems to me). Whether that's true or not I don't know, so to justify my pre-class stretching, I call it part of my psychological warm-up. Besides, there are too many so-called rules, most all of which turn out to be not true.

When I used to take a 9 AM ballet class, my warm-up consisted of walking from my car to the studio, a distance of about 50 yards. I felt happy just being awake and ready to move. When I took an evening ballet class, I would warm-up anywhere from 30-60 minutes in a secluded hallway. I had a somewhat specific routine that was a mish-mash of stretches, floor barre, barre combinations and Pilates exercises. I like being in a secluded space because it keeps you from making chatting your primary warm-up activity.

My current warm-up routine is either doing my regular fitness routine at home and then getting in the car and driving to class or doing a specific stretching routine that lasts about 30 minutes.

All of that is just me. As long as your mind and body are ready for class or performance, you are probably warmed up.

I arrive 30-45 minutes early (if possible) so that I have time to get changed, bathroom and warm up. I hate run in at the last minute.

Yes, I have a set of specific stretches I do. I gently bounce to warm the muscle group up. It is not really stretching, more an activation.

I try to include all, even those you do not need in ballet (well, I think there isn't any, isn't it) :-)

Relaxing

Silence, I avoid even talking to collegues arriving early like me. I usually count bounces, so no talking with anyone.

I personally need it because recently I had be inured a lot and I am still recovering. I have many deformations in my body that led to those injures (mainly from overworking) so I need a moment to get ready for barre. But if there is no time, I just feel a bit stiffer and it is not a catstrophe if I cannot warm up.

Do you like to warm upi with your classmates or friends or by yourself?

See above, by myself

I don't like cardio. I don't like to be all sweaty before class. That should happen during class. Gentle stretching is the best for me.

Mainly stretching and some strenght (abs)

Uhhm, I don't think so.

- I psyche myself out by being nervous before I enter a new class or a class with new material, new students, new teachers, etc. It's a bad habit, but I guess it's better than going in over confident... which I did once and I got my ego kicked, whipped, and stomped on that one time. Never again.

- I stretch beforehand, and I tend to do the same series of stretches before, so yes. I also like to isolate my core muscles before by doing some sit ups and planks.

- Abs, hamstrings, calves, ankles, leg muscles in general, and opening my hips.

- I prefer a relaxing one.

- Generally I use silence, but if I know that we will be going over variations, I will use that music beforehand to pre-game myself.

- It's necessary and very important to me, especially since my body is not as cooperative as it used to be as the years continue passing (relentlessly I might add).

Do you like to warm up with your classmates or friends or by yourself?

- Both. If I know my classmates very well, then I don't mind chatting with them while we warm up separately. However, if I am in an environment where I'm not very familiar with anyone else, I will almost always warm up by myself. Warm up isn't a time for "getting to know you" when my body is already slow and wrecked.

- I like to stretch quietly on my own, on the floor. I dislike conditioning that's vigorous right away - I hate running.

- some aerobics very rarely, stretching yes, core conditioning yes.

- No.

Well, my classes are always at 9am and like Garyecht it's as much as I can do to get there on time with the horrific traffic and search for parking in the area. However, even if I'm late, I like to warm up my feet and legs slowly and stretch the hamstrings and achilles and then I join in. My knees are giving up on me so I don't mind not doing the full plie exercise and joining in when I feel ready. I don't need to psych myself up for class - just manage to wake up and get out of the house!!!!!

Haha, Hamorah, this reminds me when SI classes start at 9 in the morning, usually get up at 6:30, head to class, arrive at 8 and spend an hour lying around on the floor because all I want to do is to sleep another bit :whistling:

SI's are the worst because of that... conditioning being the first class, I can barely get my marbles together mentally, and like the awful student I am; the only thing I'm thinking of is: 4 more hours til lunch. At least starting with conditioning at 8 something AM didn't require warming up first.

The SI I did last year started at 9 as well, and it was over an hour drive for me. Imagine how tired I still was when I got there! No way I was going to leave even earlier to get a proper warm up. All I did was gently move my feet and ankles and loosen my hips. I can function well in a ballet class without a warm up, though I do feel better when I have had the time to warm up properly.

When I was still dancing full-time I would arrive in the studio at least half an hour to one hour ahead of time to slowly work my body into the condition it had to be in for class. (this was company class, so the studio was free at this time)

Now I still do basically the same routine before teaching, though there is never enough room to do it all.

Basically it is a set of exercises for hips, hamstrings, thighs, calves, feet ankles, some abdominal work, shoulders, neck... I learned back in the US from my teacher many decades ago. (to which I have added or changed things over the years, according to what I find works for me)

I guess it is similar to what nowadays is called pilates or even feldenkrais, though back then I do not believe there was any official term for these exercises. :)

No music.

No talking, unless someone talks to me, in which case I try to be polite. ;).

Aerobic activity is usually only riding my bike there, or brisk walking if it is too icy and snowy to ride; but no jogging around the studio.

Warming up is very important to me; I now have to do a warm up every morning before I can even function in normal, day-to-day activities.

Ah, the joys of aging! :P

-d-

In addition to ballet, I studied and have taught the Luigi jazz technique. if one does the entire warm up without stopping, it is 40 minutes. if I can get to the studio in time, I do it before ballet class and my body feels centered and warm. I try to do as much of it as I can, depending on time allowances (I do it both before I teach, or take class).

Just wondering - is this a research project?

Jim.

Thank you, Jim. Please let's not continue to post answers on this thread until we hear back from MissROJones.

• Administrators

I wondered about that too. And now looking at the date of her post, and all the responses with no further response from missROjones, or any other posts at all, that is troubling. It has been two weeks. In view of that, I am closing the thread. Thanks, Jim!