Ballet Talk for Dancers

How many adults actually wear a leotard/tights to class?

missyr

Have a great time in class, Giselle Juliet.  If you find you love it and keep going, there is such thing as getting a custom Leotard.  I have done it on Etsy and used to be able to on Eleve too, but they discontinued my size.  I need an extra long XL which complicates life sometimes.... 72 inch girth measurement.   Other companies will cut to order too.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LaFilleSylphide

• missyr

• Redbookish

• Claude_Catastrophique

GiselleJuliet

Ooooh, thank you so much Laschwen! I never even thought  of that! :)

• 5 months later...
Bruce Thornton

Does anyone take adult ballet class in bare feet? Is it ever ok? 

Edited by Bruce Thornton
RaisingBallerina

Bare feet is unusual, I have often seen socks at barre but everyone has ballet shoes by center.  In my experience bare feet is not great on marley, you don't get the right brush of the floor.  It's a matter of how the particular teacher and studio feel.  In some studios this will be an absolute no, and others wouldn't mind at all, but it's something to discuss with the teacher ahead of time. 

I actually had to do it once when my water bottle leaked all over my shoes (and I didn't want to just turn around and go home).  The teacher was fine with it but was concerned I wouldn't get the same benefits as from a smooth brush of the floor.  

Chasse Away

Yeah you would definitely struggle with bare feet, it is the wrong co-efficient of friction between your foot and the floor to do any sort of tendu or ronde de jambe a terre. I think socks would be better than bare feet, but some studios do not allow socks because it makes the floor too slippery. 

• 1 month later...
kaleidoscope
On 2/21/2020 at 3:37 PM, Bruce Thornton said:

Does anyone take adult ballet class in bare feet? Is it ever ok? 

I know my teacher probably wouldn't allow this, and I'm guessing if you try it out at home beforehand you might first see that it's a bit tricky to do. I personally prefer toe-sox but my teacher only allows slippers or socks. Maybe ask about canvas-sole toe-sox (they're like half socks) if you think that'd be a good compromise?

• 3 weeks later...
ballroombean

The only classes I've ever taken in bare feet were pre-pointe, and that was deliberate on behalf of the teacher. Remember that ballet shoes or socks protect your feet. While studios should be clean and have no hazards on the floor, you can't always expect that to be the case. Also having the right amount of friction between your feet and the floor helps protect you from injury when you're turning. I've taken a lot of contemporary classes in toe-sox and they worked well, so might be worth looking into, as Kaleidoscope said.