Ballet Talk for Dancers
missyr

How many adults actually wear a leotard/tights to class?

ViolaDancer

I am an adult student but take class with the teens and I am the one who comes in ballet attire. I wear my black leo (I have 4 with differing sleeve styles, all black), pink tights (though I might wear them only to my calves or stirrup tights), and pink shoes with a tight ballet bun. I will always go to ballet in ballet attire.

NoTwoSnowflakes

Standard attire for me is a leo (black) with pink bodywrappers convertible tights, my cherished black bodywrappers skirt, and pink slippers. In fact, 99% of my classes feature me in that skirt. I really ought to get another one because god forbid I lose it or rip it. It's gonna be a sad day.

I have, however, played around with other aspects of "the look."

I have several lululemon power y tanks from my running days, which to me look very leotard-y. I wanted to wear them for ballet, so I bought two pairs of capezio "briefs"--one in black and the other in ballet pink, which to me looked like the bottom half of a leotard, so paired with the tanks, or really anything on top that's form-fitting, and my ever-present wrap skirt, instant leo in a more expansive set of styles depending on what you pair it with on top.

Another look is cropped yoga pants, the tight variety. I have a pair of these that come to the upper calf and with the skirt on top of it, it's quite balletic-looking paired with whatever top you want to go with.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a pair of black cropped ballet tights, to be paired with the black briefs, wrap skirt, and yoga top. It's kind of the same look as the yoga pants, but less...insulating.

The black ballet briefs were really key to freeing up a whole upper wardrobe. Almost anything can be a "leotard maker" as long as it's form fitting. It's also great if you find it hard to fit in a regular leotard--long waisted or short waisted, or different size on the top or the bottom. You just get something that works for you on top, and put it with the brief. So many options! Even Yumiko makes leotard-y form fitting tops that would pair PERFECTLY with the skirt/brief/tights on the bottom. Great way to get a bunch of looks on top without buying individual whole leotards.

Here is the brief I'm talking about on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Capezio-TB111-Womens-Brief/dp/B002XULNV0

The tank style I love (mine are in a heathered dark plum and another in white)

http://www.sweatlist.com/gear/health-fitness/lululemon-power-y-tank/

Here are Yumiko's leotard-like tops:

http://store.yumiko-online.com/girls-fitnesswear-en.html

Both of which are somewhat pricey, but of course any tank works. I've worn straight up ribbed stretch tanks from old navy, too.

LaFilleSylphide

I guess the top/brief combination does wonders for time saving when it comes to going to the bathroom.

I've gotten lazier and lazier with matching my dance clothing - to the point of wearing skirts that don't match my leotard at all. I'm kind of liking a new long skirt I purchased from Sansha. Normally, if I wear a skirt, it'll be on the shorter side or even an SAB-flippy-skirt that I made myself. I saw a long pink skirt on the rack and decided to purchase it, and I must say, I'm rather happy with it! It's sheer enough that I can see what I'm doing, but covers my thighs enough that I'm less critical of my physical/genetic shortcomings. :D

I might have to invest in a few more long georgette skirts. Still waiting for my bright blue, yellow, and white Eleve Dancewear leotard to come. I feel like it's been forever ago since I ordered it. Maybe I'm going to have to get a blue & white chevron skirt to go with it too!

Scuballerina

sylph, am waiting for your review on eleve...

LaFilleSylphide

I'll let you know! I hope the yellow isn't day-glow.

morninglorie

I'm intrigued by this top/bottom combo thing! The only thing I'd be paranoid about would be the top part pulling away from the bottom when I raised my arms (though it looks fairly high-waisted). I usually wear a leo, pink tights, and bike-type shorts. I want to try some skirts, as I feel the shorts are not exactly...erm, flattering to my curvier bottom half :grinning: and I haven't found very many leotards that don't squeeze my thighs with the leg holes (sigh!)

I tend to like "fun" leotards, though nothing too crazy (I treated myself to a couple Eleve leos but neither is super crazy. Yet.) I do tend to wear black a lot though, because the teens I take class with have to as part of their uniform; it makes me feel like part of the group (and then we all match) to wear black.

I sense some (more) dance wear shopping in my future! NoTwoSnowflakes--is your bodywrappers skirt the pull-on one, or a wrap/tie? I think I prefer the pull-on because I'm lazy (haha), but I might have to buy a couple varieties and see what works. Oh drat! :whistling:

NoTwoSnowflakes

I'm intrigued by this top/bottom combo thing! The only thing I'd be paranoid about would be the top part pulling away from the bottom when I raised my arms (though it looks fairly high-waisted). I usually wear a leo, pink tights, and bike-type shorts. I want to try some skirts, as I feel the shorts are not exactly...erm, flattering to my curvier bottom half :grinning: and I haven't found very many leotards that don't squeeze my thighs with the leg holes (sigh!)

I tend to like "fun" leotards, though nothing too crazy (I treated myself to a couple Eleve leos but neither is super crazy. Yet.) I do tend to wear black a lot though, because the teens I take class with have to as part of their uniform; it makes me feel like part of the group (and then we all match) to wear black.

I sense some (more) dance wear shopping in my future! NoTwoSnowflakes--is your bodywrappers skirt the pull-on one, or a wrap/tie? I think I prefer the pull-on because I'm lazy (haha), but I might have to buy a couple varieties and see what works. Oh drat! :whistling:

Come to the dark side! Buy more ballet clothes! It's FUN!

I use the wrap skirt, the short style. I can more finely tune where exactly it sits on my waist that way. I like the BodyWrappers one because the ties are slightly elastic and stay put a little better. They make two. The one I have is the shorter one, and isn't longer in the back than the front:

http://www.bodywrappers.com/details.php?id=115

The tanks I like to wear are very form fitting to the waist and then skim the body. This way they stay down rather than slide up, and stay layered over the top part of the skirt, which I wear at my waist. I have a very defined high waist, so if something is very tight to the hips, it'll just slide up to my natural waist. The other idea would be to wear tops that END at the waist, but I haven't encountered any I like yet.

I like the shorts idea, but given my shape, things fit better when they are at my waist, and shorts tend to be low waist/hipster. I guess it would fit ok with a top that skims to the hips, but I feel more "covered" with a skirt, even if said skirt ends right where the shorts would.

morninglorie

Awesome, thank you!

The shorts were better when I was younger and not as curvy :rolleyes: . Because of how a lot of leos look on my upper leg, I still want to "hide" that area, and the skirt would probably be more flattering (in theory). Plus, they're prettier! I've been trying to find more flattering leotards as well (with patterns, etc. up top). If only I could find non-annoying tights, we'd really be in business!

This forum has been the main source of my ballet-related spending :D Such a bad influence! (hehe)

NoTwoSnowflakes

Ha, yeah, I'm with you.

The shame of it all is that I love to knit and made myself an AWESOME pair of black shorts and while they fit me as well as any pair of shorts could possibly fit me (because I made them to my own specifications) I came to the conclusion that even the best shorts are not a terrific look for me.

Because the yarn was really nice, I "unknit" them right into a sweater by adding some grey yarn for stripes:

http://images4-b.ravelrycache.com/uploads/EwishPrincess/159936341/IMG_2960_medium2.jpg

NoTwoSnowflakes

As for this forum being a bad influence, well, duh.

I am clearly on the verge of a growing pointe shoe problem.

And considering I'm a beginner at pointe and only doing it twice a week, I'm going to quickly end up with several years worth of pointe shoes or something before slowing down.

txballetmom

I've only been in an adult beginner's ballet class since last July. Can I just say it's HARD?! Anyway, I wear, leggings, shorts over that and a t-shirt. I'm not overly large but just can't imagine getting into tights and a leotard. I was relieved our teacher wasn't going to enforce a tights/leo dress code. It's a class of mostly ballet moms and just so much fun. I'm thinking about making some skirts like the ones 32 Fouettes has, but it will require a step out of my comfort zone to wear it.

Thyme

hi txballetmom- I started last Feb as an absolute beginning and swore I would never wear anything more revealing than running leggings and a tank top. Fast forward about 6 months and there I am in a leo, convertible tights and booty shorts! It took me that time to slowly morph and I wont be going back. I realised that I look fine even tho' I am not perfect. Nobody in my class is and we all have the same insecurities. About half the class wear full dance gear (mainly the ones who danced when they were young) while the rest look like they were headed for a yoga class. The main advantage to wearing 'the gear' is that you look like a dancer! You may not move like one :) but there is something psychologically excellent about looking like one. who knew?? I stick to black and navy blue leos because bright colours make me look abit ridiculous. The dark colours seem to hide more. I have also learned to stick with simple classic cuts for my leos, no fancy straps or lacy bits as that seems to be hitting above my weight (so to speak). So hang in there- never say never!

kr12

I started out wearing shorts and a tank top and now wear a leotard/tights with +/- skirt/shorts. I have found that no one really cares and I feel better about my dancing. Wear what you feel comfortable in, but don't worry too much people are going to judge you. We all have our own insecurities.

Tatiana

Hello,

I always wear a black leopard and black tights : I think it is important to see the body, so the teacher can correct yo

• bl_premier_thumb.jpg

Scuballerina

i know it's just typo, but pls allow me to chuckle @leopard

i love feline