Ballet Talk for Dancers

How many adults actually wear a leotard/tights to class?

missyr

Scuballerina

I just love the gaynor tights recommendation, Its the closest thing to repetto tights, which still the best for me.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LaFilleSylphide

• missyr

• Redbookish

• Claude_Catastrophique

I just started wearing tights and leo to class again. I am not to the goal I had in mind before doing so yet but it got too warm for my unitards so that is that. My comfort comes before my ego sometimes.

I always feel better about myself for wearing traditional ballet attire over workout type clothes. We have dancers in all shapes and sizes in class and it never crosses my mind how someone else looks good or bad in traditional wear. We all have our own insecurities, but I've learned to let mine go. Good for you, Laschwen!

I confess I have been worried about fitting into my tights and some of my leotards. Some of the leo's fit and some don't...yet. I did discover that my Bodywrappers tights are roomier than my Capezio, and I prefer them anyway for feel, so that is fine. I seem to have bought myself a new pair of Capezio before I realized. They must have been on sale. I knew I liked the Bodywrappers better but I will still save the Capezio. The color is a little different and a person sometimes needs a different color. :nixweiss:

Redbookish

I've just come home from repertoire class (we're working our way through the Sleeping Beauty fairy solos), and I just wanted to report that for the first time for a couple of years, I wore pink tights and a camisole leotard. Actually, I think my legs look way better in pink tights than the all over black I've been wearing!

Hooray! That's what I've been trying to show my friends, that pink tights can show off your legs!

Redbookish

Not that my legs are really worthy of showing off. But the pink does make a better line, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

OOH not for me.. the other night I wore pink tights with a short unitard and shorts and I was horrified to see my thighs so exposed as I usually wear black ... maybe it's because I have been wearing black so long... but I felt naked :(

Back to black for me right now ;)

Black tights do look nice! I think the hardest thing for me is to wear tights and leotard with no shorts or wrap skirt. Nobody else in my classes goes without a cover up. It makes me feel like that bad dream where you go to school or give a speech and you realize that you forgot to wear clothes!

Everyone in my classes wears some sort of cover up, but I wear just a leotard and pink tights. It does make me feel a bit self-conscious, but the light tights let me see which muscles are engaging. I hope that the teacher can see them, too!

• 5 years later...

I just finished my first ballet class and about a fourth of the class wore pink tights and black leotards, while the rest of us wore form fitting athletic wear. 

Chasse Away

I always wear tights, leo, and a skirt, and usually 90% of the adults in the adult classes I take do, with like 10% wearing work out clothes (it’s usually the same dancers, they teach jazz/contemporary at another studio so I guess it is just what there dance wardrobe consists of). Everyone wears leos in the teen classes I attend, it’s just good manners. I usually only wear black tights if I’m wearing a white skirt, otherwise I find the ballet pink tights with the white skirt to be too monochrome. 

I can’t really see a reason why you wouldn’t wear proper ballet attire, unless you are a beginner and haven’t yet/don’t want to invest in the wardrobe. It looks better, it shows respect for the art form, teacher, and class, it makes it easy for the teacher to see your lines and muscles, and it’s less restrictive. It’s bad manners to lift your arms and expose your mid drift in class, I wear leos to any other dance class and even when I choreograph for my schools musical because this is so instilled in my head. And yoga pants are too restrictive, they provide resistance when I develope and battement. Then again, I can’t really relate to people who are “self conscious” about their body enough to cover it up in a dance class! You brought your body to a dance class, your body likes to dance, your body lets you dance (and eat and breath and explore) it’s so good to you, so why be ashamed of it? Ballet class is not the place to be self conscious about your body.

Thanks for your perspective! Chasse Away, It was a 5-week adult beginner ballet class, so the dress code said to wear whatever you were most comfortable, in as long as it was form fitting. But those that want to perform must wear pink tights and a black leotard for recitals.

If I ever take another session I will definitely consider the points you brought up about all of the benefits of leotards and tights! Thanks!

Chasse Away

Oh sorry , rane. I was answering the general question, it wasn’t directed towards you specifically! Like I said, if you’re a beginner there’s no need to invest in dancewear unless you know you are going to stick with it! Athletic clothes are fine for beginners and some classes. My main point is that some people were athletic clothes because they are too self conscious to be in leo, but at a certain level of ballet it’s important to be dressed properly, so there’s no point in indulging their insecurities. It’s harmful and unprofessional to dress in a way that hides your body in a dance class, if people want to dance they need to get over their insecurities and dress properly (at a certain level 😊).

Sorry Chasse Away, It came up on my notifications, but now I realize it was because I follow this conversation. I truly appreciated your insights though and totally agree with them. I think they will definitely  help other adults consider the benefits of wearing a leotard and tights to class!