Ballet Talk for Dancers

Television: Bunheads on ABC Family

Series premiere on Monday, June 11th (9/ 8c) on the ABC Family channel.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this advertised. DD and I have decided to maybe watch the first episode, out of curiosity. But really, I just find myself dreading it. Is it just me?

ballet valet

I thought the dancers looked like they had had ballet training, at least from the pictures I saw. I think the premise that a Vegas showgirl would teach ballet in a small town is sort of amusing. Looks like more of a life lessons show than a ballet show. I am a sucker for cute teen shows and romantic comedies so I will give it a try, if I am not on the road driving my own bunhead.

The background dancers are all real ballet students from our studio. The producers came and looked at our advanced classes to cast for the class scenes. They call available dancers as needed for those scenes, so DD might get a chance to be in the show, if her schedule permits.

Pointeyourfeet

And Amy Sherman Pallidino wrote it, writer for Gilmore Girls... so at least it will have good writing (unlike a certain dance moms reality show...)

ToThePointe

I saw the first episode yesterday (Pointe magazine sends e-mails and they had a link and a code to view it). Depending on the age of your daughters, you might want to watch it first and see if you feel it appropriate. I'd rate it PG-13.

It sounds interesting. The dancers looked realistic, but the Vegas teacher did seem out of place. I just wasn't sure if it was going to be a "Black Swans" meets "Pretty Little Liars" kind of show. My dd who would watch is 16, but I always appreciate a parental guidance heads-up!

gavotteindmajor

Ah, yes, ABCF seems to have lots of those kinds of shows (Secret Life, Make it or Break it, PLL), but they do have some funner ones, more amusing shows more suitable for a preteen. From what i've seen of the previews, it seemed to have a more laid-back plot than Pretty Little Liars (which I love, but wouldn't recommend to the average 11-year-old).

ToThePointe

I don't want to say too much, but if you're looking for morality or a moral lesson, this show does not have it, just the opposite.

tangerinetwist

Seems as though every dance student out there has posted photos on the Bunheads Facebook page. Dreadful is all I have to say about most of them. I wonder if all the girls who intend to watch this show are as delusioned about what real ballet dancing looks like because what they are posting to look like ballet is pretty far from it(even far from Vegas Show girl quality, if you want the truth). Looks more like a good marketing set up for Dolly Dinkles everywhere!

I haven't seen the show--no time to watch TV because we're always on the run to something, including ballet--but I was really surprised to see Sutton Foster in this. I've always thought of her as a tapper. "Bunheads" will probably be as "realistic" as the many reality shows out there.

And dd said the dancers in the classes looked like trained ballet girls. I do think it will attract an audience of younger girls who want a glimpse into the "real ballet world".

ToThePointe

The girls are trained and look good... but the stereotypes are abundently used (and abused) and IMHO may spawn body concern issues with young dancers. Again, this is PG-13. I know that many of my parents would not like their kids to see this show and are lured into it because it is on "ABC Family." I have only seen the first episode. Maybe the rest are different. I do think that parents may want to record the first episode (depending on the age of the child) and then decide for themselves whether or not it is a something that they are okay with their child watching.

gavotteindmajor

Many young dancers on the Facebook page are pledging themselves to be "bunheads through and through". Am I wrong, or is "bunhead" rarely used in a polite way.

Archived