Ballet Talk for Dancers
Pierrette

Television: Bunheads on ABC Family

learningdance

We really love Dance Academy (watched both seasons on netflix) not really super great dancing but realistic and wholesome. Thanks for the info. we will probably skip this. . . sounds a bit silly.

learningdance

Seems as though every dance student out there has posted photos on the Bunheads Facebook page. Dreadful is all I have to say about most of them. I wonder if all the girls who intend to watch this show are as delusioned about what real ballet dancing looks like because what they are posting to look like ballet is pretty far from it(even far from Vegas Show girl quality, if you want the truth). Looks more like a good marketing set up for Dolly Dinkles everywhere!

I have to agree with this. What a mess.

ToThePointe

Again, from what I've seen, it does not promote a dolly dinkle school. There are lots of sterotypes... and I worry about body image problems for young kids. Their primary "teacher" was a "member" of Ballet Russe. The main actor was a "company member of ABT.' I don't have any problem with the dancers, just the stereotypes and lack of morality. Like I said, tape it, watch it for yourself, and then decide if it is something you are okay with your kid watching.

dkd

I've already informed my daughter that I'm not going to let her watch it (a dance friend brought it up the other day). I don't want her watching Dance Academy at her age and from the sounds of this one it's going to be much worse! Thank you all for the heads up.

Jingle

I watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. It's well written and has some funny lines. I liked Sutton Foster's character's interaction with the teen dancers. It will be interesting to see how the storyline develops.

Mousling

If you are familiar with what ABC Family offers, Bunheads is right up there with other such shows which portray some slightly eyebrow-raising teen behavior and language (and it is mostly talk) as completely normal and acceptable. If I didn't have a young teen, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

I just watched this with a preview code after curiosity from this thread. I think it's entertaining (if you like quirky, chatty banter, familiar faces like Sutton, the grandma from Gilmore Girls and the best friend guy from Ferris Bueller). If giving my opinion without wearing my parent hat, I'd probably watch this if it were on... but my opionion as a parent is slightly different based on the content of the first episode.

Some of the young dancers are really lovely. The talented, balletic one (which I guess according to ABC Family means being able to do a double pirouette into a full seated split), is of course mean, pretentious and embraces every sterotype, though to be fair, the show does not appear to be about any of the young girls (yet).

viennakat

Does this series have any connection to the recent novel "Bunheads" by Sophie Flack?

PS I almost typed bundtheads. Now that'd be an impressive hairstyle. Tasty, too.

gavotteindmajor

No, it doesn't. I watched a sneak-peek and it seemed to not really focus on the ballet that much at all, mostly the main character's relationship.

But on the subject of the actual dancing, most of the dancers seem relatively well-trained. I'd say the only thing out of place was a combination that was adagio with grande battement, and a petit allegro with reverence. I don't know how you put two movements that require completely different music in one combination, but they did it somehow

Dancing_EMT

I have it set for my DVR. It intrigues me.

Kini

Many young dancers on the Facebook page are pledging themselves to be "bunheads through and through". Am I wrong, or is "bunhead" rarely used in a polite way.

Always thought the expression "Bunhead" was used as an insult.

dancemaven

I have never considred it as an insult. Simply a description of a dancer who was very into ballet, preferred ballet to the other styles of dance, or even when in other styles of dance classes, still had the look, the movement, and the feel of a 'ballerina', i.e. 'bunhead'.

ballet valet

I missed the show last night so I am watching it online at: http://abcfamily.go....D55208781/pilot

This is the dorkiest, worst written, goofy show I have probably ever watched, and I am only 10 minutes in. Yikes. I will post again if it gets any better.

OK... it was cheesy but probably a cute show for the teen set. Dancing is more about enjoying what you are doing than the technique. Cute actresses but very goofy script.

mum2qtd

I watched it on my DVR yesterday and did not care for it one bit. Sutton Foster as a person is likeable but the characters, story line, writing, sexual innuendo and in general everything was just off. I won't be letting DD watch this unless it takes a completely different direction.

I haven't seen anything else on ABC family so maybe this is just par for the course. I took the "family" part to mean it was kid friendly but it did not meet the definition of kid friendly in our house :(

Curandera

"Bunhead" sounds like "bookworm." It could be taken as an insult if the targeted person didn't like ballet or reading, but usually the target does like the activity a lot and just accepts it as part of their persona. It seems to me to be more descriptive shorthand than insulting such as "fatty" or "pothead."

Curandera

My 14yo dd and I like the show. It had it uncomfortable (creepy stalker dude) moments, but overall it had some fun Gilmore Girl dialogue we enjoy.

And yes "ABC Family" should rename their channel. "Family" does not mean "Wizard of Oz" or "It's a Wonderful Life" family movie/tv watching.

"Family" on this channel means dysfunctional, quick scorching topical drama ensues, resolved, funny, sardonic quips about some brief lesson learned, and then catapulted to the next dramatic scenario that has family units pitted against and sometimes in alliance with other family units. Sex and awkward situations made funny, sad, uncomfortable and quickly resolved or dismissed.

Nothing small kid friendly.