Ballet Talk for Dancers

Are ballet dancers encouraged to try other dance styles?

Guest ballet_shalom_forever

I know that if one wants to be a professional dancer she/he has to train intensely, but do ballet teachers usually encourage students to take classes other than ballet?

I've disscussed this with a few other dancers and not one of them differed in her oppinion than dancers should know more than one style, even if they have a focus. One of them (ok, that was the one that told me RAD was no good, but still:) ) even told me than no ballet company now does only ballet, they do ballet +modern or ballet +jazz (mostly ballet of course but when they audition dancers they do look for some jazz/modern skills)

I am really confused, I can't form an opinion.:o Most of the so-called "well rounded dancers" I know aren't very good in all their disciplines, even if they can do more than one thing. On the other hand, with chances of becoming a professional in ballet being so *slim* (no pun intended) its good to have a back up plan (unless you ONLY like ballet and no other dance styles).

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!:D

p.s - I browed through the other threads and didn't see any similar to this one, but if I've missed it i'm sorry :P

• Administrators

I think most of us encourage our students to study other forms of dance as well as ballet. With the varied repertoire of most companies today, some work in modern and/or jazz can be most helpful, and of course the study of these dance forms can also lead to other work if one does not make a classical company. But ballet is still the basis for the making of a dancer, and should be the primary form of study.

Guest LMKdancer87

Hello! I think that trying different styles od dance are fine to do. Some types are even based around ballet. For exaample: jazz uses very many positions from ballet. In terms of different styles of ballet (Checetti, Balanchine Etc.) I think that dancers should train in their early ages at one school with one style, not traveling around and around to different school. When a dancer gets older, i think that its an ok idea to go to a SI at a school that trains differently. This way you can get a different flavor! At my ballet school (princeton Ballet School) A girl who was 11 o 12 years old got into SAB and was encouraged not to go. I think that was a good decision.

Well, My teacher said that Jazz could help with ballet. And that some teachers encourage this.

I have a friend in college, that when she auditioned for the college dance theatre, she had to be as proficent in modern and jazz as she was in ballet. They were expecting a well rounded dancer when she got there. (She is majoring in dance now)

Guest LaFilleMalGardee

My jazz teacher said that there is a ballet company where dancers are required to dance tap because it makes their footwork faster.

• Administrators

Very curious about the name of that ballet company, La Fille ;) Can you find out?

There is an older dancer at my school and (I Don't remember the name) she was aduitioning and she had to have a modern dance to perform.

About the company that requires tap dancing for ballet, I think this is a great idea. My ballet teacher also teaches tap and she always says that glissides are very similar to wings in tap!:D This helps us think of going up in the jump rather than side. She also tells us to quit doing shuffles in our frappe exercises!!!:D

I think modern in a way is the "anti-ballet". I mean it was created as a rebel to ballet and its strict rules (notice the shifting hips/ flexed feet).

So its surprising to me that companies would actually want that especially since it can make the dancer a bit lazy by giving him/her a break from pointing his/her feet, curving his/her arms ect.

But I guess that if that's what companies want, that's what dancers should do:rolleyes: .

OLD modern was the "anti-ballet". Present-day modern requires a technical edge that not everybody can get! The problem with the "anti-ballet" type of modern is that it's really very self-indulgent and based on the "anti-elitist" idea that anybody can dance. This statement is true enough, but then there's the little issue of getting people to PAY to watch just anyone dance!

Yes self engulgent was the word i was looking for! Thank you!

By the way, LaFille, I saw a picture of pointes shoes with taps on them a few months ago. Maybe I'm 100 years behind and everyone else knows about them but I was shocked! I can't imagine dancing in shoes like that, though.