Ballet Talk for Dancers
GretchenStar

Television: Breaking Pointe on the CW-Season 1

Victoria Leigh

Thank you for this information, pavlova!

LaFilleSylphide

The CW Network describes BREAKING POINTE as “an intense, unfiltered look at one of the most competitive ballet companies in the country. Beneath the beauty and glamour of the dance and costumes is a gritty dog-eat-dog world of extreme athleticism, focus, dedication, passion, pressure and, of course, the hunt for the unattainable…perfection.”

I like that Sklute is trying to set the record straight and keep away from exaggerated stereotypes, yet that's how CW still describes the show. His desire to be the "antidote to Black Swan" is diminished by CW's dramatic statement: "the hunt for unattainable perfection" *Bumbumbum!!! Cue dramatic music!* May as well intercut this with the Portman's whispery performance as Nina Sayers, "I just want to be perfect." Haha!

Also, I'm amused that they label Ballet West as one of The Most Competitive companies in the country. While every company is competitive and difficult to get into, all the dancers from Ballet West I've encountered seem to be a pretty professional and civil to each other... one might even say they're nice to each other. :D

diane

sounds good!

but for the dramatic sales-pitches sometimes...maybe they could not sell it to a big enough audience (or enough advertisers? ;) ) if they did not try to make it sound really dramatic.

After all, viewers apparently get bored all the time if nothing is blown up or no one is attacked, right?

-d-

love_ballet

Here is the trailer:

LaFilleSylphide

The trailer looks a lot more normal and real than the epic description. Doesn't matter, I'll love it eitherway - with or without the explosions! :D

dance2go

Thanks for sharing! Very excited.

Doubleturn

Thanks for posting this - if it is a co-production with the BBC I imagine we will be able to see it in UK sometime.

Dancing_EMT

Just set the DVR! :D

love_ballet

Here is a NY Times preview.

I noticed there are 2 threads in Cross Talk with this subject, is there a way to merge them?

dancemaven

Merged!

JimDunlop

Boy, sometimes I feel like I live in a cultural vacuum. There are so many shows out there nowadays and we only get an ifitesimal fraction of them here in Japan.

Recently, Huffpo posted a short docu about pointe shoes and the journey from factory to stage.... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/24/pointe-shoes-new-york-city-ballet_n_1449449.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false but it's very rare to have found something like that.

Being a n00b here, I wouldn't know, but has anyone ever posted a list of ballet-related movies & TV shows to the forum? Then I could start working on tracking some of them down. As for Breaking Pointe, I'm sure it will make it here eventually. Just like Black Swan. About a year late, and dubbed into Japanese.

oliveoil34

This show looks fantastic. It premiers, Thursday, May 31, 2012 on the CW.