Ballet Talk for Dancers

Television: Breaking Pointe on the CW-Season 1

JimDunlop, I totally understand how you feel! When I left the US to live in Europe, it was 1973. (oooh, that ages me, doesn't it? ;) )

We do not get hardly any of the "shows" and such which are shown on US tv; and, to make matters more complicated, since the advent of digital television, I never learned how to work the remotes, so I stopped watching any tv at all. :)

Yay for youtube and dvds! :D

I, too, hope that this film makes it over here; surely it will to a big city such as Berlin or Munich, but probably not to where I am.

Perhaps in a few years it will be out on dvd.

-d-

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LaFilleSylphide

• ceecee

• Momof3darlings

• dancemaven

Lol! And you're still dating yourself. DVDs are so '90s! hehe It's all Blueray. j/k Actually, nowadays everything is going media-free it seems. I can't remember the last time I actually bought a physical CD or DVD. For the past couple years I've just been buying everything through iTunes...

I may have to check to see if this show will be available for purchase on iTunes, actually. If it were, that would make it very simple!

JD

Yay for youtube and dvds! :D

I, too, hope that this film makes it over here; surely it will to a big city such as Berlin or Munich, but probably not to where I am.

Perhaps in a few years it will be out on dvd.

-d-

We already have a thread on this topic here: http://dancers.invis...l=&fromsearch=1

Hans,

[#10340] We could not determine which topic you were attempting to view.

Edited by dancemaven
Edited to Add: The topic linked by Hans and another were merged.

Did anyone else catch the premiere of this show tonight?

GretchenStar

I saw the premiere. There was one point that was typical "reality show" fare - when Beckanne and Katie are eating and chatting Laguna Beach style - but I felt the rest of the episode was pretty good. Reminded me of the Royal NZ Ballet's show.

I definitely could empathize with the dancers, at whatever stage they are in their career (even though I didn't have a pro career). I wasn't a prodigy like Beckanne but I remember being the new girl at a studio and having one of the more senior girls dislike me because I got a solo the first year. And I remember being the most senior girl and watching the new kids coming up the ranks.

Having not been in a professional company, I'm curious at how contract renewals are usually handled. Do they give you letters, or was that just for this show? I guess I always assumed there were one-to-one meetings (similar to exit interviews in the NBA)...

Side note - I just realized that I started this thread! (Or one of the threads that was merged). I totally forgot about it :)

Momof3darlings

If someone sees when it's coming on again or when it pops up on the internet, please post. I had to work and my kids tried to set the DVR but failed.

I think it is being shown again tonight, momof3. :) Not sure if this is true on all cable networks...

Momof3, on my way out to work, but a quick search found this link which I think will let you watch online...

http://www.cwtv.com/cw-video/breaking-pointe/survival-of-the-fittest/?play=16d84d77-81de-4f0c-890e-a152bbc48404

SewRibbons

I watched this last night, but missed the first 20 minutes. I've set the DVR to catch it again if it replays. I'm not sure what I missed, but what I did see was disappointing. I felt like it was a typical reality series where the people just happen to be dancers. That is, seeing them dance is a rare occurrence. I was actually bored and, well, a little mad when the show had us watching them out at a nightclub and out to lunch rather than in a class or talking about dancing. Even when they were in rehearsal, the camera angles didn't allow us to see much dancing and the focus was on the drama of who is jealous of whom. Maybe I'll enjoy it more as I get more familiar with the format and get to know more about the dancers profiled but my experience with it last night was that it was a dud.

Hmmm...I had rather the opposite impression...LOL! I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't more "drama/reality/bitchy/over-edited to show the worst of people", but then I have a pretty poor opinion of most TV :) I thought they tried to do some basic education for the non-dance audience, which is who these programs have to appeal to, with explaining how contracts work and what the different ranks in a company mean (corps, soloists, principals, etc), and the interplay of comradery/competition, among other things. As my dear partner reminds me when I rant about TV in general (sloppy writing, gender/racial/class stereotypes, made-up science, etc), "YOU are not their target audience..." I'd love it if they made a series about dancers FOR dancers, but that doesn't get ratings/sell advertising *le sigh*

I *did* think they way overplayed the heteronormative romance stories...but again, I'm sure that was calculated and focus-group tested. I'm cautiously optimistic and have hopes for the rest of the series.

My husband and I watched the last 20 minutes too. We actually forgot it was on and had to look to see what channel the CW is :P My husband's comment was that he felt we were the only people that would be watching it. He amended that to include other ballet families and dancers who weren't in the studio or on stage working (and of course the BT4D'ers). I was also bored despite having known one of the highlighted dancers since she was 12. I felt that the dialogue was stiff and contrived and that the "acting" or "real interactions" were also stiff and that the dancers were acutely aware that there was a camera around. Of course, it is difficult to forget the camera but I would have thought that a show like this would have seemed more real, more relaxed. And yes, I would have liked to have seen more actual dancing instead of stretching and evil eyes :unsure:

Just watched it online. Bleh. Too much personal drama, not enough dancing or showing the joy of being in a company. They all look depressed, even the few moments when they are not talking about contracts or relationships.

Everytime I saw them at a restaurant, I fast-forwarded. "Are you worried about getting a contract?" and "Our relationship is complicated" 10 minute conversations reduce my IQ a couple points.

There were similar concerns in the "Secret Lives of Dancers," but they were nowhere as slow or suffocating. They spliced in happy, fun parts about actual dancing and ballet production.

I may try watching episode 2, but I am not going to bother recommending this one to 14yo dd.

Momof3darlings

Thanks, it will be back on tonight at 8pm CW for anyone who missed it last night.

Does Adam Sklute really wear a jacket and tie to work?? Maybe he had a board meeting later.

I thought the show seemed stiff and partially scripted. Hopefully everyone will relax as the show progresses.

I was also disappointed - not enough dancing and too much typical reality show relationship drama.Case in point - the scene where two dancers went shopping for clothes while they discussed their relationship