Ballet Talk for Dancers

Where do I go from here?

Animefleur

Hello everyone

I seem to be facing a turning point in my dancing life (or maybe it's just new studio jitters!) I will be turning 19 the 3rd of september, so at my new studio I'm not quite sure where I fit in.

It's almost time to start making plans for the fall semester and I'm afraid that because I'm not in high school anymore I will not be able to be in with the student division but instead be asked to take "adult" classes. Their adult classes are very good and have helped me a lot, but I know I need more intense instruction than that if I'm ever going to catch up.

I am sooooo glad I switched to this studio (I did so in January). I really did myself a disservise by staying at my old studio for so long--their classes were essentially "here's the steps, now teach yourself."

As a predictable result, my technique is not where it should be for my age. If my technique was better, I don't think I would have much trouble at all with fitting in and taking student classes, but because I've never learned some of these things (grand renverse, attitude turns) I'm having difficulty. Please, please advise. Thank you

Rachael

Speak to your teacher and tell her/him what you want to do! Most places will try to respect your wishes. If they don't know what you want, they can't even begin to hope to satisfy your goals!:)

I agree !!!

Your teachers will most likely be more than happy to help you achieve your goal. If they know that you are trying to catch up, they will most likely help you more than if they thought you were only dancing recreationally. You might also want to consider private lessons to help you learn some of the things that the people in your classes have already learned :)

I agree with Balletstar18, if you can, summer time is a great time to sign up for private lessons so that you can make that jump between levels. Good luck!

:D Thank you all. You are right, Mr. Johnson. I do need to talk to my teacher. I'm not quite sure how to go about it, though. Not sure how I should approach him about my concerns. I've been doing well in the classes I've been taking overall, but I'm feeling a little embarassed because we had two professional dancers take class with us on tuesday. I realized just how far I still have to go. I know I did fine at the barre (he complimented me on the battements combination) but I was HORRIBLE in the center I was so lost I could barely try the combinations--renverse, sissone etc. I just don't know the preparations for the turns. But then he knows that, doesn't he.:rolleyes:

I have another class tonight. (and it should be easy in comparison to the the last one) What do you think is the best way to talk with him without having to go on and on? I had soooo many questions after that last class. I quess one part of me was afraid he'd throw tomatoes and the other had so many questions I didn't know where to begin. In any case, I do need to let him know that I want to catch up and I'm serious as balletstar18 pointed out. I don't think they offer any private laessons, but their thurs night class usually has between 6 and 12 students.

Sorry to go on and thank you again

Rachael :D

You sound like a very polite and well-meaning person! No teacher will throw tomatoes at a student that is motivated about learning. You may want to consider calling the studio to make an appointment to speak to that particular teacher after your thursday class. Making a list of questions for the teacher may help the meeting go a little smoother. The teacher may have some other suggestions for you about catching up. Sometimes all you have to do is ask and a teacher will set aside 15 minutes every week to meet with you after a normal class if you want to work on a step or ask questions. I had to do that for a year becuase I started ballet a little late. Teachers will often be very accomadating especially to a student like you who is so motivated and serious about improving. Good luck, and I hope some of this helped:)

You've expressed your concerns to us in a clear, concise manner - there's no problem in understanding what you are facing as far as goals are concerned, so there's no reason you can't express yourself in the same manner to your teacher:D

If it will help as a memory jog, why not print out this thread, and use it as a sort of cue sheet for framing your remarks to him!

Thank you. The class and everything else really did go well on Thursday. I got a chance to speak to my teacher and he was very pleased that I wanted to take more classes/catch up. He wants me to continue taking the adult classes for the rest of the summer, even if they are a little too easy, because he will work with me. Everyone will be in a new level in the fall and so he said he would wait until then to see about which classes I should take in the student division.

So thank you all for your experienced advice. I sure appreciated it. I shouldn't have worried so much about it and now my teacher knows exactly where I'm coming from. ;)

Rachael