Ballet Talk for Dancers
vrsfanatic

College Dance Fair(s)

Lady Elle

Yes, thank you diana13! Looks like this one has auditions as well!

djeowmom

Yes, thanks Diana.

MissDonna

My dd went to a fair at the 92nd Street Y in NYC which took place in October by an organization called Dancewave. Here is the link for this years event http://dancewave.org/DTCB . There was an audition component where you selected which schools you wanted to look at you (they were all on a big panel in the room). It was only a ballet class followed by a modern class. No solos, rep etc. DD said it was pretty crowded. The better schools either didn't participate in the audition, or used it for pre-screening purposes, in general. My dd received some unsolicited offers of acceptance from schools she didn't put on her sheet. I don't know if she would have received scholarships from those schools if she had pursued the offers. She followed up and was later accepted by several schools that she had seen there and made that initial connection. Juniors can participate in the fair, but not the audition. At least that was the rule last year, which makes sense. In any case, this was a good event providing a nice opportunity to connect with admissions officers from many schools and programs. I think you can still sign up for this years event which takes place next month.

cmalltheway

Dance Fair sounds very interesting. Anyone know of any other ones? Lady Elle, looks like you are in California as well. I wonder if there's any that are closer to the West Coast! B)

julisha

We attended a College Fair for Performing and Visual Arts last October at the Javitz Center in NYC, sponsored by the National Association for College Admissions Counseling.  They host over 25 fairs across the country.  The fairs do not have any audition or master class components; they are more like traditional college fairs with performing arts admissions reps at tables with information.  All the major college dance programs are represented:  Indiana, Juilliard, Pointe Park, USC-Kaufman, Oklahoma, Ailey/Fordham, Arizona, The Hartt School, SUNY-Purchase, etc.and many others.

https://www.nacacfairs.org/attend/pva/

cmalltheway

Thank you so much, julisha, for the fair info! It's great to see them traveling everywhere. This is a great resource for everyone.

We'd need to see if we would need to get to one before the November date listed since DS will already be a senior by then and many applications would be due already...

Julisha, what are your thoughts about attending one on the earlier time frame of the application process? What were your takeaways from attending the fair? 

Edited by dancemaven
Edited to add proper capitalization for sentences per BT4D Rules and Policies.

julisha

I apologize for not posting this info earlier, but I just saw this thread this morning.  I think it would be wise for rising Juniors and their parents to attend this fair just to familiarize themselves with the performing arts specific college programs.  However, there were plenty of rising Seniors and their parents attending.  September and October would be ideal, as you pointed out cmalltheway, it does cut it a little close for Seniors.  But it worked out well for us because we were there as Junior parents and looking to educate ourselves so that we could support DD.  Our DD was not with us; she is in a residency away from home, but we were able to go around to the colleges that she had expressed interest in, and talk to their reps in person, get our names on their mailing lists, and pick up some info for her.  By the time she got home from school during the December holidays, she was able to leisurely read the information we collected and get a jumpstart on her own personal research.  We were very glad we attended the fair.  Also just wanted to mention that majority of the kids that attended seem to be musical theater/actor kids, so if any of your DKs have that interest, schools like Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, and NYU Tisch were there.  Would definitely recommend that you and your DS attend cmalltheway.  We have the same deadlines as you, but I think it's worth going to let the reps of the programs know that he has applied and get their cards.  They will be happy to see applicants.

cmalltheway

Thank you so much, julisha, for your words of wisdom and advice. We will definitely put the date on our calendar. because of what you shared, I've started a FB group to share with other performing arts moms about this fair and other college prep steps. College arts world is unfamiliar to most parents, kids and counselors. We need all the help we can get!

julisha

Glad to help!:clapping:

julisha

Is anyone attending the Dancing Through College and Beyond Fair, to be held October 6-7, 2017 at 92 Y Harkness Dance Center?  DD is attending with several of her friends.  http://dancewave.org/DTCB

tutumama

So funny that you just posted about the dancewave fair. I was trying to search for any feedback about the fair all morning. My daughter is interested in going, but we were not certain how the process would play out for the auditions. A few of her choices are on the list and some of them are auditioning schools. Do you have any other feedback about auditions panning out for dancers? As a point of reference, I have the dates as Saturday the 7th and Sunday the 8th. Will your daughter and friends audition? Now I'm excited again.

julisha

Hi tutmama!  My bad-yes you have the correct dates!  DD's friend was accepted to Point Park as a result of this audition last year.  DD and friends from her school are caravaning down from their school to audition.  Lucky me, i'll have a house full of teenagers that weekend!  Seriously though, they are all nice kids and judging from the schedule, they will be very busy.

tutumama

Julisha

Good information. I wan't certain if kids actually got in to programs or if they were treating it like a pre-screening. We are struggling to decide because, on one hand, we'd like her to audition with other dancers interested in specific programs and on the other, we could knock out a few in one day. If she does them individually, she'd see the department, facilities, and meet teachers. It is a difficult decision. 

julisha

Tutumamma

i have questions on how it actually works as well. DD has a November audition date for Point Park, so if she does audition at DTC, I'm not clear on whether to cancel the November audition. When I get any clarity on this, I'll report back. 

tutumama

Juliana,

For what it's worth, I phoned the Dancewave organization and asked about auditions. I was told that this audition does take the place of individual auditions. I was told that dancers did receive acceptances. It obviously happens outside of their organization. I feel like I need to phone each school to check. I'd also like to know if the schools have a preference, though their presence at the fair suggests that they are open to the audition format.  Good grief this all so complicated, lol!