Ballet Talk for Dancers
vrsfanatic

College Dance Fair(s)

julisha

Thanks tutumama!  It's great to know that I can save time and money by not traveling for another audition.  You are right; this is complicated.  I don't remember seeing anything from the schools indicating that they would be at this conference holding auditions.  If they did, I totally missed it.

tutumama

julisha, No problem. But, please just take this as unconfirmed and contact Point Park yourself. I'd hate for your daughter to miss anything based on my phone call. I do wish the schools had this information on their websites. I'd feel so much better about it;)

Edited by dancemaven
Removed social media salutation

julisha

tutumama, thank you again.  I will contact PP.  DD hasn't cancelled anything yet.  yes, it would have ben nice for the schools to say on their websites that they audition at this conference.I will talk with DD tonight.

julisha

My daughter and two friends attended the DTCB conference.  Overall, they were glad that they attended because it gave them the opportunity to talk with reps from the schools in which they were interested and learn about other college dance programs that they had not heard of.  They also had fun being together and hanging out in NYC, so the weekend was a nice break from school pressure and the anxiety around the college process.  There were about 140 participants that were divided into two groups of 70 for the auditions.  DD and friends felt that the talent range of dancers varied widely.  There were clearly dancers there that had never done ballet and a few that had never done modern.  The audition was 45 minutes of ballet and 45 minutes of modern.  With 70 dancers in each group , it was hard to find a place to dance and the adjudicators had to have the dancers rotate on the bar for everyone to be seen. There were also workshops on nutrition and careers in dance, but outside of performance.  DD was told by SUNY-Purchase that they rarely offer spot admission at this conference and would prefer that students come to campus to participate in the on-campus audition.  Purchase will send an email to dancers in about a week, thanking them for coming to the audition and possibly offering a fee-waiver.  There were some scheduling glitches as well.  Because one of the lecture sessions ran late, dancers only had 15 minutes to get dressed and warmed up before auditions.  We have decided to keep DD's on-campus auditions that we have already scheduled.    

motherhem

I took my dd to DTCB this year.  Things have improved since Julisha’s 2017 update. They offered more auditions and limited the number of dancers in each audition. All of the auditions included a warm up period before the audition started.   It was taught but it was not observed by the colleges. 

We chose DTCB because, like so many others, we wanted to save money and audition for multiple schools at once.  We didn’t get to see the colleges themselves or experience their environment and campus but we couldn’t  afford to see everything so, for us, this was a very wise choice. 

The college fair part was a little overwhelming. It was so crowded and there definitely was not enough time to go to each table to ask questions and some tables had long lines.  Sadly, there was no way to get near the SUNY Purchase rep without standing in a very very long line. Fortunately the rep asked anyone who wanted to give them their resume to go ahead and the line thinned down some.  I recommended knowing who you want to talk to and having a list to check them off when you get there.  Hit the most popular colleges first.

I don’t know how it was done it he past but this time if you wanted to be considered for a college acceptance or scholarship during the audition you had to stop by the college table during the fair and hand them your headshot and resume.  There was no way to give your resume to every auditioning college it was way too crowded for that  

We aren’t native to NYC and we stayed a way away from Hunter college where DTCB was hosted.  It was pretty exhausting and confusing getting there and the subway doesn’t run all trains over the weekend. One train even changed lines while we were on it. Due to exhaustion we didn’t attend every event/panel and we missed the Saturday night performance unfortunately.  We learned a lot about traveling in NYC that weekend. LOL. No one noticed or cared that we missed the panel or the performance  

However, you are required to attend the college fair to audition so be aware that if you miss the fair they will not give you the materials to audition.  There are very vocal about this in the registration materials and in their communications. Fortunately because I hate to be late we left extra early and got there just in time for the fair.  Unfortunately some of the college reps had the same problem we did and arrived late so we had to wait in the auditorium for everyone to get set up before we could enter   We waited maybe 15-20 mins.  The materials said each group had a certain amount of time to be at the college fair but this wasn’t regulated  and even though we didn’t see every college we stayed past our end time   No one said a word.

So the most import part for most of us is the audition results.  Here is what happened this year:  Results come in beginning the very next day and continue sporadically even a month or two after the audition. Each college has its own timetable.  Results will come in via email and snail mail.  DD got several scholarship offers.   She got some communications that eluded to scholarships but did not straight out make an offer.  She did not receive any ‘NO’s’ but we know a girl who did.  DD heard from several colleges she did not audition for and even received scholarships from some of them.  Some colleges wrote very personal emails directly to my dd and some were form letters. The same applied to the regular mail responses.    One college even hand wrote a personal note and sent it in the mail. Yet some colleges did not respond at all.   

I called Point Park because they were high on my DD’s list to find out why.  That’s when I found out some colleges will not give you a response until you apply and are accepted academically.  Once dd applied and was accepted we found out that she had received a nice scholarship there as well.  So just be aware that some schools won’t tell you a thing until you apply to the college.l and get admitted.  The DTCB audition was not an exception in those cases while it was an exception for other schools  

What Julisha said about SUNY Purchase was correct in our case   Their email said they would like dd to come for  “callback” audition and they waived the audition fee.  However another girl we know got a ‘NO’ via email so not everyone gets the invitation  The girl did end up going to audition at the school anyway.  So the no was not a hard no.  It was just a not this time.

It was really nice and a little overwhelming to receive all the communications.  I finally put the responses in a spreadsheet format to help sort them out and noted in the sheet whether there were acceptance, scholarships, form letter, or personal letter and then we did research on the colleges.   Because some of the earlier posts in this thread mentioned the lateness of DYCB to apply to colleges I wanted to mention that we had plenty of time to apply to all the ones DD wanted to apply to after the audition.  However we did fill out the FAFSA October 2nd. It opens Oct 1.  I learned from my older children that the earlier you apply the more likely you are to get grant money if you qualify.  So having that done helped with her timeline and expedited acceptances.

While DD was at the audition, the parents had the option to attend a panel discussion on college degrees,  basically BA vs BFA vs conservatory programs.   Parents were allowed to ask questions and somewhere in the middle everthing broke down into a discussion on college acceptances, attending colleges getting degrees and getting into companies.  There was so much good information in that one meeting.  At the time dd (and us) were waffling on what to do next. What we heard in that meeting really helped us decide and put us on her current path.

threegirlpileup

Just wanted to add an update on DTCB from 2019.

My dd attended and auditioned this past month.  I would echo that the college fair was crowded and we didn't really feel like we had enough time, especially at the end when we were trying to get all of dd's resumes handed out.  For the most part, the conversations reinforced my dd's application plans, which was reassuring.

My dd enjoyed the workshops and found them very helpful.  She especially enjoyed talking to current students from the different programs.

They do a lot to make the dancers comfortable and give the best possible performance at the audition.  On Saturday, there was a meet-and-greet for the dancers in each audition group with ice-breakers.  This took place in the audition space.

For the audition, each group (about 30 dancers) met with a teacher for an hour for warm-up and to learn the audition combinations.  The actual audition was one hour with ballet barre, adagio, brief improvisation, and modern across the floor and combination.

My dd felt like it was great to get her feet wet with college auditions, especially in a relatively low-stakes setting, since most schools do not reject outright from these auditions even if they do not end up admitting you.

As a bonus, she now has multiple dance acceptances from schools she is interested in, which has both increased her confidence/made her more calm heading into her remaining on-campus auditions, plus it makes scheduling so much easier as we can now just schedule visits to these schools on our timetable, instead of having to juggle all of the audition dates.

I would say if there are schools attending that your dk's are interested in, it is well worth the trip!

Oinkteller

Like threegirlpileup, DD15 and I attended Dancewave’s DTCB 2019 college fair which was in NYC the first weekend in October. DD is only a sophomore but we are research-minded and appreciated getting a sense of the college/university landscape. We were both glad we went. She was able to meet and talk with faculty, interacted with peers, attended panel discussions and picked up a ton of information from places we may not have otherwise considered. She also took a free contemporary class on Sunday. Next year, we’ll likely visit a few campuses and then she’ll decide if she wants to try and do a summer intensive at a college/university rather than with a company-affiliated school. Right now, she’s focused on training in classical ballet with some dabbling in contemporary and modern. Hard to say what path she’ll choose two years from now but it’s nice to know there are options.

The college reps seemed to be mainly East Coast, with some notable exceptions (Michigan, USC-Kaufman, among others) but it was crowded and we didn’t get around to every table. Juilliard brought both a faculty member and a current student. Fordham sent an admissions person and no faculty. Marymount sent their ballet master and she spent a significant amount of time chatting with him.

The parent workshop about the differences between BA/BFA/Conservatory Programs was helpful and I appreciated their candor about dance resumes (which the presenters seemed to feel held little to no weight in terms of actual admissions). They also said it was how dancers perform at the auditions that would lead to acceptance or not in their programs and quality training will shine through. 

We skipped the evening performance in favor of attending NYCB’s Serenade (side note: their $30 under 30 deal is amazing and I highly recommend! We had great seats for a fraction of the price!). We will not go again next year but may go back her senior year to the auditions. 

threegirlpileup

Haha, we skipped the evening performance too, but we went to see Waitress before it closed (my dd is a musical theatre nut)!

m.e.e.

My daughter also attended DTCB 2019. She had Nutcracker rehearsals both days, so we only attended the college fair on Saturday, and the auditions on Sunday. Even though she primarily focused on handing out resumes and head shots for the auditions the next day, it was far too crowded and it was certainly impossible to talk to every college booth we wanted to visit. I hope they figure out a better system for future years.

A question -- I had hoped that she would have heard from more places by now since it's been a couple of weeks. She's been accepted to a few dance programs, has been called back to a couple more, but most of the places have not responded at all. I read above in a previous year that Point Park, for example, does not respond until you apply academically, and she has not submitted any applications yet (plans to submit at least some before Nov. 1 for early action, etc.) Does anyone know if that is the case with other schools? Should we contact them? Is no news bad news?

Any advice would be welcome -- she's happy to have been admitted to the some places (and one place that she didn't even audition for), but we're wondering about the delay for the other programs.

MoDance

Two weeks might not be enough time for some programs , but in the world of one misplaced period in an email address and you never get it, I think it is good form for the student (not parent) to follow up by email, wait a week for a response, and if no response is received call.  Most professionally run offices will respond well to something like, "Soon I need to make decisions about next steps with a variety of schools and it would be helpful to know the outcome of my audition on x date in y location."

threegirlpileup

m.e.e. I don't know if it's kosher to mention other boards here, but College Confidential has a Dance Major board with a long thread that has a number of parents reporting their dk's responses from DCTB.   (mods, please delete if it's not okay to include this here).

I can tell you that my dd has heard from Ohio State, U of Illinois, Temple, Rutgers, and Montclair State. U of Illinois and Temple were in response to her request to set up an on-campus audition, so it's possible that her inquiry triggered the response and they have not widely replied.  Some folks have heard back from Towson inviting them to audition on campus; we visited and were told verbally that she was admitted, but we have yet to receive a letter/email.  Others have heard back from Purchase and George Mason.  I do think that in many cases no news isn't exactly bad news, but it means you need to do an on-campus audition.

I have heard the same as you that Point Park does not share a dance decision until after your academic admission happens; also the same at UArts.

Good luck, it's all rather harrowing, isn't it?!?

m.e.e.

Thanks very much for the advice and information, everyone.

It was helpful to read that other thread. Sounds like we've heard from the same places (she did not distribute resumes to many places because she is classical ballet and felt like a lot of the schools were too modern-focused for her.) Guess we'll give it a bit more time, and in the meantime, focus on getting the applications out, especially to places like Point Park.

threegirlpileup

Best of luck to your daughter!

My dd and I were commenting at Dancewave that the schools really skewed towards a contemporary focus (which is good for her, since that's what she's looking for) and that there weren't too many options for those more interested in ballet.

We're working on churning out all of those academic apps in between going to auditions.  It's exhausting!

Oinkteller

Best of luck to you both! I’m exhausted and stressed just anticipating her senior year ☹️ Glad for boards like this one - so useful to learn from others and share information with those in the same boat!