Ballet Talk for Dancers

Books: Ballet books for 13+

I just read A Company of Swans about a ballet company that tours to the Amazon in the early 20th century. The main character is 19, and it's definitely written for the young teen to teen set--mostly plot, but there is lots of talk about the classic ballets the company is staging. I can't say it's a great book, but it is a book of fiction about ballet.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, the audiotape version of Ballet Shoes is absolutely wonderful for any age. The British actress who reads the story does all of the voices with great enthusiasm. I checked it out at the library; don't know where it's for sale. Will check.

Follow-up: The actress is Elizabeth Sastre. She does a wonderful reading - best audiotape I've heard.

This tape and one for Theater Shoes can be found at Amazon.com under audiobooks.

thanks. we can turn this into a list of good ballet fiction, if the mods don't mind

Well now - here's something you might find interesting. I was going to recommend the "Drina" series of ballet books by Jean Estoril, so I looked it up to check that they still publish them and yes you can buy them on Amazon. The writing is a little old fashioned, but they are lovely books for ballet students. Anyway, I was wondering about another book I have from my childhood called The Ballet Family by Mabel Esther Allan, and what did I disover??? Mabel Esther Allan and Jean Estoril are the same author - different pen name! I never knew! Well, then I looked up The Ballet Family (The Garlands) on Amazon and it is out of print (great shame because it is a really good book) but someone was offering a hard-back copy (like the one I have) for 75 pounds sterling!!!!!!!! Good heavens I could become a millionaire just by selling the old childhood books that I kept!

Slightly off topic - BBC TV have filmed a dramatisation of Ballet Shoes with Emma Watson (Hermione in Harry Potter films) as Pauline and a girl from Royal Ballet School as Posy. It is due to be broadcast over Christmas. Don't know if you will see it elsewhere, but BBC usually sell to other networks worldwide.

I used to love Lorna Hill's books about the old Sadler's Wells - again, very old fashioned now, but very charming. The social context has changed more than the ballet, I think!

Thanks for the tip about Ballet Shoes. I'll have to get someone to record it for me. The BBC always do their book adaptations so brilliantly. I have to say that in my opinion at least, their attention to detail and characterisation is far more meticulous than in US productions.

• 4 weeks later...

Greb, do you have a vested interest in Ballet Connections? I have to remind you that both Ballet Talk and Ballet Talk for Dancers have a policy against receiving advertising. Three highly symmetrical posts to this forum suggest advertising, and, I dare say, spam. I also find it disturbing to find that the Contact Us page on that site seems especially designed to capture e-mail addresses. I have to caution our members on this subject.

Thanks for the warning Mel!

There is a teen book titled "Dancer", by Lori Hewitt, that my dancer just loved.

I was able to get second hand copies of nearly all Jean Estoril's and Lorna Hill's books on amazon and others on line sellers just two or three years ago for a few pounds, so I think you should be able to get your hands on them too, if you keep searching ! good luck !

Well now - here's something you might find interesting. I was going to recommend the "Drina" series of ballet books by Jean Estoril, so I looked it up to check that they still publish them and yes you can buy them on Amazon. The writing is a little old fashioned, but they are lovely books for ballet students. Anyway, I was wondering about another book I have from my childhood called The Ballet Family by Mabel Esther Allan, and what did I disover??? Mabel Esther Allan and Jean Estoril are the same author - different pen name! I never knew! Well, then I looked up The Ballet Family (The Garlands) on Amazon and it is out of print (great shame because it is a really good book) but someone was offering a hard-back copy (like the one I have) for 75 pounds sterling!!!!!!!! Good heavens I could become a millionaire just by selling the old childhood books that I kept!

I frequently use www.abebooks.com which is a really good site for used books. Some are $1 US plus postage. Just checked and there are several copies of Allan's/Estoril's books. If you are interested search under Mabel Esther Allan in author field with ballet in keyword. Also do the same with Jean Estoril in the author field. Some of her books are quite inexpensive. There is a copy of The Dancing Garlands for $16.99 US plus postage.

• 5 weeks later...

On Point-Lori and Grover is good and so are the books by Laurence yep, Ribbons, The cooks family, and The amah. they aren't really that much about ballet but ribbons is the most ballet centered

Is the author's last name Yep?

I'm sorry ashleydancer but I can't make heads or tails out of your post. Is there a book titled, "On Point-Lori and Grover"? Is this the title of another book " Ribbons, The cooks family, and The amah"

...sorry for the confusion but many of our members use English as a second language, and since I use English as a first language, but I can't figure out your post, I am hoping you'll clarify it by working on your sentence structure and your punctuation. That would help us out greatly :yes:

Archived