Ballet Talk for Dancers

pulled muscle?

Guest tianehu

Guest tianehu

Something a bit wrong happened to my leg yesterday, and I don't really know what. I've never felt this pain before, as in, it's not the usual achey sore muscle feeling. It's the muscle in my thigh, nearer to the joint and farther from the knee. I can't lift my leg up past 45 degrees to the fron or side [but back seems fine] whether it's bent or straight, because it feels stuck and it hurts a lot. I don't know when it happened and how, but I was doing a developpe a la second when it suddenly started hurting. I don't know whether it's just a normal pull and I shouldn't bother visiting a doctor but just ice it at home...:confused:

• Administrators

Sounds like you may have pulled the groin muscle. Major nuisance inury. Not much you can do except some physical therapy, maybe ultra sound treatment. You can't force it or stretch it, you have to wait for it to heal. It will heal, and does not take as long as some things, but patience is the hard part here. :)

Guest tianehu

oh dear...how do you think I could have gotten it? And just yesterday, because it felt so stuck, I was trying to stretch it out, but I didn't know how to because the stretch I use to stretch the top muscle in the thigh [i'm not sure what it's called] doesn't help to stretch it...but anyway, since I'm not supposed to stretch it, that's fine. :)

I did that to myself one time doing a detiré (jambe à la main) cold. It hurt for awhile, and I got diathermy (microwave) therapy for it. Don't try that at home! It's a little difficult explaining why you're trying to fit your leg into the microwave oven!;) Ms. Leigh is right - it's awfully pesky, and resting it for a bit will be the ultimate best solution.

Guest tianehu

I'm sorry I keep posting my questions in little bits and pieces, I know it should all be in a chunk, but I keep forgetting...:) I just wanted to know how long it takes to heal, and whether I should consult a doctor or just leave it. I'm a bit worried, because my gymnastics competion is coming up so I can't afford to miss any training sessions.

• Administrators

There is no way to know how long, tianehu. It depends on how badly it is injured. If you see a doctor you might be able to get him to send you to physical therapy, which could speed up the healing process.