Magazines: Non-dance but with ballet features

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dirac

• Alexandra

• Dale

Thanks for the heads-up. Actually, on most days I'd choose Elle over Time. At least Elle won't put me to sleep with covers on How Safe Are Your Children? and Search for the Historical Jesus....

In a recent issue of "Point de vue", between articles about Prince William of England and other royal families, there was an article about the POB tour to Lebanon (dancing Petit's "Clavigo"). It included several photographs of the dancers- including several corps de ballet dancers (with their names), which is not so common.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paquita

This week's issue of Time (Venus and Serena Williams are on the cover) has a section on what's coming up this fall in entertainment. There's a blurb about the Joffrey's "Nijinski Mystique" and on Ethan Stiefel appearing in Dim Lustre and being the best american born ballet dancer since Viella.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The October issue of Talk magazine contains a fascinating article on Kirov teacher Alexander Pushkin who was a mentor to Nureyev and Baryshnikov. It's definitely worth reading.

Melissa

Thanks for the alert. I read it and also found it worthwhile. The emphasis is on Nureyev's affair with Pushkin's wife, but hey, it's Talk. Apparently a biography will be appearing shortly, in translation. Baryshnikov also has some interesting things to say about Pushkin as teacher and man. I remember seeing a clip of Pushkin in class; one got the impression of someone with great authority but also great gentleness, which seems to have been true of him. He lived for his work, which led to tensions in his marriage. The article also notes that the Pushkins were in great danger from the authorities when Nureyev defected -- it almost makes it seem like a good thing that Pushkin had his fatal attack before Baryshnikov's flight.

There is a book coming out soon -- published by the Dance Collection, I think; I hope that is a herald of things to come. It's been available in Russia for some time.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks -- I would NEVER have thought of checking out the Harvard Business Review. The link seems to be only to an intro to the article, which apparently you have to order. But it's nice to know it's there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paquita

Tamara Rojo is in the Spanish edition of Vogue, I'm not sure which issue, i saw it at a friends house, sorry! I think it is this months though. There's a page about her favourite Cds, movies, etc. and a nice picture.

Ashley Bouder and Carla Korbes are profiled in a rather lengthy (for a dance article in Vogue) profile by Gia Kourlas in the November issue of Vogue (American). There is a beautiful colo photo of Bouder in her Firebird costume and Korbes dressed for Divertimento #15.

• 1 month later...