Ballet Talk for Dancers

Magazines: Non-dance but with ballet features

Guest Calliope

No article, just a photo of a dancer in one of their fashion spreads. They don't even name her, but it's Jamie Wolf.

It's the latest issue with Julianne Moore on the cover.

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Calliope ]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dirac

• Alexandra

• Dale

Guest Calliope

The last page has a photo and story marking the 8th anniversary of his death.

I was a little surprised (and delighted) to see such a mainstream magazine with the story.

Even in death he's better copy than most. Well, he was the first ballet star to become a mainstream celebrity, so it may be more appropriate than it appears at first glance. I suppose Baryshnikov became just as famous, but I wasn't around for Nureyev's peak years, so I can't offer eyewitness testimony. However, Baryshnikov has never gotten busted in the Haight, nor do I recall him appearing on talk shows in leopardskin outfits....

In the Fanfair (I think that's how they spell it) section up front, there's a couple of paragraphs on the Kirov, with small photos of Nioradze, Lopatkina, and Part. This is the latest issue, with the Annie Leibovitz photograph of White House foreign policy honchos on the cover.

(Politically oriented types note: Colin Powell placed at far left, thus squeezing him onto the cover with Cheney and the Prez, while Rumsfeld is relegated to the fold at.....far right......

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Calliope

She's featured in an interview by Jock Soto.

(Jennifer Connelly is on the cover of the mag, assuming it's April issue)

Brief interview but it was interesting to learn she only studied ballet for 5 years before getting into the company, prior to that she played sports!

A few pages later is an interview with Vanessa Carlton the former (disgruntled) SAB student.

Guest Calliope

Yes, Interview is pretty mainstream, pop culture centered, usually some film star gracing the cover. It's slightly oversized (not as big as W, but bigger than Rolling Stone)

You'd find it in the General Interest section.

Guest Lolly

In this month's (UK) Vogue there is a free booklet called "The Feel Good Guide", and a list inside of 100 things that make you feel good - things like having a massage or buying a lipstick. Number 83 on their list is "Repetto ballet shoes" and there is a picture of a pair of pointe shoes signed by Margot Fonteyn!

There is also a fashion feature saying floaty chiffon things are "in" and you should wear them with ballet shoes!

If you want to see the magazine you could try Borders as here we can get all the European and US Vogues.

Thanks for posting that, Lolly. Odd that pointe shoes are becoming a fashion statement. Having a nice new pair on hanging on the wall might make some "feel good" but I wonder if the writer ever tried dancing in them!

Guest Lolly

Yes, they aren't just pretty pink shoes I agree! I saw a photo of a model on a catwalk a couple of years ago wearing pointe shoes, I bet she got more blisters than she would have in high heels! It's a strange world.

Irina Dvorovenko is featured in a photo spread in the new Gotham magazine and ABT has a blurb in the arts section.

• 1 month later...
Guest LaFilleMalGardee

I also saw a girl wearing pointe shoes in the Spring issue of Teen Vogue. That is neat that it is now fashionable to wear pointe shoes!