Ballet Talk for Dancers
Chearriess

Moderators: is winging your foot proper technique?

Chearriess

I have flexible ankles, so I have the ability to slightly wing my foot without flexing. Should I do this for performance awards/cecchetti exams while I'm in arabesque? I heard that this is proper technique, but would it be acceptable for events like this?

Victoria Leigh

We do not consider it proper technique. Usually a winged foot is not fully pointed and therefore does not continue the line of the leg.

Chearriess

Thanks! I'll ask my teacher what she thinks too. I'll probably just be safe and point my feet normally.

Victoria Leigh

The teacher who is teaching your exam class should be able to answer that for you. Have you actually been taught to do that, or is it something you picked up on your own?

Chearriess

She has never really mentioned wings, she mostly just talks about the importance of not sickling. I picked it up myself from looking at pictures of professionals and wondering why their feet were "crooked."

Victoria Leigh

Well, I would suggest that you not do that. Not sickling is very, very important, and that can be aided by using your best rotation to create the line. Fully point the foot, but don't 'over point' it or wing it!

Chearriess

Thanks Miss Leigh!

gavotteindmajor

Jumping in: Is "shaping" the foot into a wing in arabesque, coup de pie, attitude, etc alright as long as the pinky toe is pointed with all the other toes (so the foot is fully pointed)? Obviously, you shouldn't wing to the point where the top of the ankle doesn't make a straight line with the toes and leg, but can you still shape in these positions? As Chearies said, it seems to be part of the aesthetic.

Hans

Whenever your foot is pointed, it should be correctly shaped, not winged. The shape of the pointed foot does not change depending on what position the leg is in. If you place your foot in the wrapped cou de pied position with the ankle and arch fully stretched and the toes lengthened to continue the line, that is the correct shape of the foot that you must maintain whenever it is pointed in any direction and during all movements.

XdancenerdX

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I do not really like the look of a winged foot, just because I feel like it breaks the line. But over the summer my arebesque height increased and while I didn't feel a difference in my foot (I was focusing on straightening my knee all the way while keeping the foot pointed, of course), I think somehow it started to wing all by itself. I honestly have no idea how that happened.

Clara 76

So.... your foot apparently developed artificial intelligence??????? :P