Ballet Talk for Dancers

Number of teachers

I would be grateful for members input on the pros and cons of being taught by just one ballet teacher in comparison with 4-5 ballet teachers. This is in the context of a Pre-professional environment of 20+ hours per week for a 15yr old. My impression is that the quality of teaching is very good to excellent for all the teachers. Thank you.

• Administrators

Different teachers at that level are okay, although 4 to 5 different ones might be a bit much. I am a part time teacher at two schools, and I have one group twice a week at each school, but the other group at each school I only have once a week. I would prefer to have each group twice. With younger students it's more important to have just one teacher, at least for the first two or three years. When they get to more than two classes per week, two teachers should be okay. But all of this depends a great deal on the teachers being on the same page, and the quality being consistent. I do find that I can make a lot more difference with the students I have twice a week, as I can repeat my class with them, and find that more is accomplished that way.

Thank you Miss Leigh. Are there any advantages (or disadvantages) in having just one teacher? DD said she likes just having one teacher as then she doesn't get conflicting or different instructions or corrections! DD is around RAD Advanced 1 level but needs to improve her strength (as I understand it).

In principle I certainly agree with Victoria. In terms of your DD's specific situation, it may be of benefit to have multiple teachers if it is possible. My reasoning for saying this in this specific situation, is that at an RAD Advanced 1 level with the current syllabus as is, there is a large amount of set work that can get a little repetitious for both student and teacher. There is also the possibility that even in the free work that is given, it will be of a similar style, tempo, setting etc because we teachers are only human and get into ruts too. Sometimes also when you see the same student all the time you start to unintentionally overlook technical faults of just not see your nose in front of you (we've all done that!). However all that said, there is no absoloute need for a student at that level to have multiple teachers, but if it is happening it is certainly not bad.

With the new syllabus coming 2013/2014 some of this will be less of an issue as there is far less set work and far more scope for free work so both students and teachers will be challenged more :)

• Administrators

With the new syllabus coming 2013/2014 some of this will be less of an issue as there is far less set work and far more scope for free work so both students and teachers will be challenged more :)

Very glad to hear that news! :)

• 5 months later...

My dd is in a similar situation, A 15 year old, approximately level 6-7 dancer is US. She has 4 technique/pointe teachers. 2 she has twice (one is AD) and 2 others she has once each week. Although our AD intends to have a solid sylibus, the 4 teachers all teach different styles and often only finish with a 15 minute pointe section of class (classes are 1:45 each). So, continuity of style and consistency of pointe work are a little wacky. They all seem to be well respected teachers individually.

So I guess my question would be whether these are legitimate reasons to look for a different pre-pro program for my dd to strengthen and finish her technique?

Thanks anyone else who has experience or opinion on this.

(Chime in Clutterbug if you have new insight since last fall.)

Does she have separate classes just for pointework, or is it just that they put their shoes on for the last 15 mins. of their ballet class?

No separated pointe classes except variations. I will probably make a request to have these classes officially separated for next year but I am still concerned about the variety of styles being taught. Also, the teachers give mostly class corrections so detailed improvement seems missing a little to me. The other challenge for next year is the number of younger dancers moving into the upper level. Not sure the 3-4 older/more experienced dancers will be getting as much focused instruction. Yes, I know they need to apply general corrections but is that ideal all the time?

• Administrators

The lack of pointe classes is definitely a problem. I would also find lack of individual corrections a problem. Naturally, they are all supposed to be paying great attention to all corrections, and applying them, but still, I don't think I have ever taught a class without major numbers of individual corrections! :o

Hello ballet valet, thanks for posting and reminding me to give an update! DD started in a pre-professional program and has one ballet teacher for Mon-Wed and then another teacher for Thurs and Fri. She also has a pas de deux class (different teacher), a syllabus (different teacher) and open class (company principal) once a week.

DD likes having just two main teachers and said even though they teach differently that it's ok because their teaching days are consecutive i.e. a block. I hadn't thought of that making a difference but it makes sense now. The lessons are 3 1/2 to 4 hours long and are technique followed by pointe, repertoire etc, not syllabus classes. Having said that I think at this age and level that the personality and quality of the teacher is significant. DD adores her primary main teacher (3 days) and regards her highly. Having other teachers makes her appreciate this teacher more!

There are also other factors that come into play such as the peer group, the support offered by the school, performance opportunities etc. so now I feel it's actually a lot more complex than just the number of teachers!

Clutterbug and Ms. Leigh,

Thanks for your update and input. I think I was answering my own question while waiting for your replies, which has reinforced my concerns. I am going to be proactive and detail our needs for fall and see what their response it. At least we have a couple of choices if they aren't enthusiastic.

Thanks again!