Ballet Talk for Dancers

Audition help!

DancerElizabeth

On Saturday I'm auditioning for SAB and I'm super nervous. I come from a small studio and I have to drive pretty far for my audition, so any pointers would be helpful. I'll be auditioning with the 12-14 year olds, and im 14. What will the two hours be like, and what kind of things will we be doing? I know there is pointe work at the end, but what will be expected of you? How many pirouettes will be expected on flats and en pointe? Any other turns or leaps i might be asked to do? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just very nervous. My biggest fear is I will get into the room and they will ask me to do something I've never heard of. How could I tell them I don't know what something is or how to do it? Do I attempt and fall or just not do it? This is my first audition, and anything will be helpful. Thank you so much. :)

• Administrators

DancerElizabeth, an audition is just a class. Relax! If you have been studying ballet for a while, by 14 you will be expected to know all of the basics, and put together combinations at the barre and center which should be composed of things you have learned by now. If there is something you have not learned, then just tell the teacher. It's a class. The teacher should be prepared to teach! We can't tell you exactly what will be in the class, but it should be comprised of vocabulary that students who are 12-14 would be expected to know. Just try to pay very careful attention to the way things are demonstrated and explained, and do whatever they ask. If you don't know a step, ask a question. They are looking for potential in 12-14 year olds and do not expect you to look like a professional yet! The audition will be a good opportunity for you to assess where you are for your age group, and perhaps learn whether you are getting the training you need or not. It should be a fun experience and also a learning experience. :)