Ballet Talk for Dancers

Student Choreography

tcdancer

I am currently in the process of choreographing a student choreography submission into a youth arts festival. However, I am getting stuck. I am using the music "3326" by Olafur Arnalds and working in the style of contemporary ballet. I am planning on performing the piece on pointe. I am trying to include flexed hands and quirky or off the wall movements. I am basing it off of the idea that dance is my passion and road in life, no matter what happens. I am having troubles with making my transitions smooth and making it look like a completed piece. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on what to do when you are at a loss of new ideas? Any suggestions related to choreography would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you so much!

• Administrators

When you are at a loss, just stop and step back and listen to the music again....and again and again! Let the music guide you and just start moving and see what happens. Don't overthink it, try just doing it. Steps are always the easy part, but really using your space and moving through the music from one place and one sequence into another is the harder part. Decide WHERE you want to move, and listen carefully to what the music is doing and then just experiment with different ways of getting there. You have been training long enough to have both a good vocabulary of dance and a knowledge of all the transition and connecting movements. Put those moves into the style you have chosen for the dance and see where they take you. :)

Thank you! I think my struggle is that I want to make this very contemporary while I study in a very strict classical school. I will take your advice! I always over think it!

I really shouldn't post here, but I just wanted to pass on this excellent post by Clara that really helped me: http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=52977&view=findpost&p=503458