Ballet Talk for Dancers

Sergei Filin, director of Bolshoi Ballet attacked with acid.

swanchat

The director of the Bolshoi Ballet, Sergei Filin, was attacked last night outside of his home as he returned from a gala. The assailant threw a chemical at Filin causing burns to his face and eyes. Doctors are trying to save his sight. Here's a link to the story: http://www.theartsdesk.com/dance/bolshoi-ballet-chief-attacked-acid-his-sight-threatened

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• mom2

• swanchat

• Mousling

How very sad. Sending prayers and vibrations for a full recovery.

That is insane. I hope they get to the bottom of it, and that his family will be okay.

I told my DS about the attack, and when he asked "Why?", I said, "They're not sure."

If this was indeed work related, what a horrible example for our young people!

Prayers for his full recovery, and may justice be done to his assailant.

Thank you for posting the link. I feel so sorry for him and his family. Prayers are definitely being said for them. Hopefully they can save his eyesight. I can't imagine having to go through six months of recovery and multiple plastic surgeries, simply because of the maleficence of someone else. The article alluded to the fact that the perpetrator might be known already. I hope they catch whomever is involved and put them away for good!

OMG. I just read that Dance Mag piece. That is so sad. So tragic. . . I will pray for him. .. Does seem an odd way to be attacked and that the perpetrator knew that he was a performer. I am shocked.

Acid attacks are most common in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Cambodia, Uganda and Colombia. (Some of these countries have managed to cut the incidence, but the number of occurrences is rising in others.) There have been at least 3000 attacks since 1999 -- 70% of the victims are women; 50% of the victims are under 18. They are always horrible.

There are more updates to this story than could (or should) be linked here, but this one provides yesterday's developments on several fronts:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/01/23/bolshoi-acid-attack-recovery-new-head.html

Visit BalletAlert for many more articles and discussion.

Not to say that this couldn't happen in the U.S. (we have certainly seen more than our fair share of violence that we can barely comprehend), but I think what comes through in all of the recent news articles is the intense mental investment in the arts so many people in Russia have. Almost a crime of passion via mobster kind of thing. Several of the articles mention "rock star status" when discussing high level dancers, yet in the U.S. and many other countries, most people wouldn't know a principal dancer if they fell over her pointe shoe ribbons.

Thank you for posting an update. I've been thinking about him and his family a lot recently. I'm glad he is remaining optimistic. It is the best form of revenge.

Yes, thank you for the update. I'm so hoping they can save his eyesight. I can't imagine never seeing a performance again and being left to only memories.

..... I think what comes through in all of the recent news articles is the intense mental investment in the arts so many people in Russia have. Almost a crime of passion via mobster kind of thing. Several of the articles mention "rock star status" when discussing high level dancers, yet in the U.S. and many other countries, most people wouldn't know a principal dancer if they fell over her pointe shoe ribbons.

I had the same thought lovemydancers! I sure hope he keeps his eyesight. What a terrifying experience for him and his whole family.

• 1 month later...

It was reported on tonight's CBS evening news that arrests have been made. I've linked one article with the details below.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2813113.html

This is a secondary piece but it provides a current medical status which most individuals have been seeking.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_03_05/Bolshoi-dancer-arrested-over-acid-attack/

Hopefully the second link works as I tried repeatedly to copy and paste but it was being stubborn.