Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Schools in Florida - Broward/Palm Beach County

pierceclan

dancemaven sorry again I already asked the same question in the Sarasota area forum but I do not know how to erase it from this thread...

vrsfanatic thank you for your info.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Letyaz

• Victoria Leigh

• dancemaven

• mira

Mira, do you know how many students can attend Magaly's SI, they already posted the dates for the intensive but I was wondering if it fills up quickly or if I can wait until the deadline, we haven't decide where to go yet. Thank you so much!!!

We are going soo far off-topic . . . . . ! This thread is not about SIs . . . . Please help others that will come looking for school information in these counties by sticking to the thread's designated topic. :)

• 1 year later...
pucksandtutus

My family is considering a move to the Palm Beach area and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with/ opinions of Ballet Palm Beach and their affiliated school. DD is 14 and DS is 8.

Thanks so much!

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Yes, I have guest taught there, and it is a very good school. Check it out!

Arabesque13

@pucksandtutu, my DD attends Ballet East, formerly Susan Lyle studio. (Eliana Girard, SYTYCD winner, is from our studio.) Ms. Chelsea is the new director and she is amazing! Our youth ensemble piece has won awards at the Youth America Grand Prix for their contemporary, and the ballet training is top notch! Please PM me for details!

Arabesque13

Also, if your DD is 14 not sure what grade she will be entering. I am guessing 9th grade, Dreyfoos School of the Arts is the area's performing arts high school, which academically ranked, I believe, 29th in the whole US nation. My DD will be attending this coming fall, but you must audition the winter time in 8th grade. If she missed that she could always audition in January for 10th grade. Many serious dancers in the area attend Bak Middle School of the Arts, which my daughter loved, and then they hope to continue on to Dreyfoos. Ballet East is only a short drive from Dreyfoos, on Okeechobee and Jog Road.

pucksandtutus

Arabesque, thank you so much for the information!

DD is a rising 9th grader. If we move, it won't be until next year, but we could likely get her down there in January for the audition.

Arabesque13

Pucksandtutu please in box me if you come down then, since our DD are,in same grade she could take a open class when you come down at studio!

• 2 years later...
willothewisps

I have information about Ballet Palm Beach (BPB) and its academy that might be useful. They are now the official professional ballet company of the area which is great since the county hasn't had a professional ballet company ever since Ballet Florida folded. They even have Claudia Cravey (Ballet Florida's ballet mistress and formerly famed baby ballerina) as the company ballet mistress and upper level academy teacher.

The academy is the first of its kind as far as I know to utilize completely Ruth Petrinovic's (of Harkness Ballet) pedagogy "Revolutionary Principles of Movement" (RPM). It's a method of teaching founded in physics and anatomy that applies to any syllabus (RAD, Vaganov, etc). Basically, it's one safe way to train students so they don't force rotation, extensions, etc. that would result in injuries further down the road. It also emphasizes using energy efficiently, artistry, and movement quality.

Anyways, the school quite small and new but it seems to be gaining momentum. The staff seems to be very invested in the students, and the school has a friendly but professional environment. Note: This school does not focus on competitions, so it wouldn't be for you if that is your main objective. But, the school has lots of performance opportunities since it's tied to the professional company.

Depending on the type of production and the students' level, the students can audition for roles in the company's main stage performances. BPB does four shows each season at the Eissey Campus Theatre in Palm Beach Gardens. (It was announced that BPB is moving to the Kravis Center for The Nutcracker in Dec 2017, so that will be an exciting opportunity for those kids).

There is also a relatively new trainee program starting at age 16. In the few years since its inception, the trainees they've had so far have gotten a professional dance job (many with Ballet Palm Beach) or gone onto other trainee or apprentice-type programs or gone onto college dance programs (Juilliard, Butler, and SMU were ones I could recall).

Hope this information is helpful!

Edited by willothewisps
Typos and trying to be more succinct.
  • Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Very helpful, thank you willothewisps!  Especially happy to know that Claudia Cravey is working with the school and company. :D