Ballet Talk for Dancers

Variations?

jsdancer

My sister and I, both high schoolers, are entering our school talent show and we want to perform a variation as we have only two weeks until the actual talent show itself and figured a variation would be appropriate.

She is 14. Her strengths are: hops on pointe, fouetté rond de jambe en tournant (or anything similar), pirouettes (nothing more than a double)

I am 16. My strengths are: any type of leg extension, piqué turns (lame ducks as well), jetés

Both of us have already done Don Q variations, I have also done Esmeralda as well.

Any suggestions?

We were looking into possibly Harlequinade Columbine Doll (Juliet Doherty has a nice version) or something from Giselle or Coppelia for her and possibly something from La Bayadere or Odette Variation for me but we are unsure and are open to suggestions.

Thank you :)

PS: This is my first post so I apologize if I did something incorrectly.

Edited by jsdancer
  • Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, jsdancer. :) You did everything very correctly, thank you very much!

As to selecting variations, there are just so many to choose from, and I really think that the best way to do that is to talk to the person who knows you as a dancer the best, and of course that would be your teacher! What variations have you learned already that you feel very good about? What variations do you have the music for, in the correct tempo? This is an important consideration, especially since the show is so soon. You don't have much time, so you need to get on it. Have you considered Lilac Fairy, for instance? That is a good one for people with good extensions. For someone like your sister, who is only 14, perhaps something like the Bluebird variation? It has hops on pointe. Giselle's first act variation has a lot of hops on pointe, but I don't think I would give that to a 14 year old. If she is small and can move quickly, take a look at the Cupid variation from Don Q.

But first, talk to your teacher, and find out about music!

Of course I agree with Ms. Leigh about talking to your teacher, but a few variations popped into my head for your sister :)

The Giselle Peasant pas variation BOLSHOI version. Not the one with the grande jetes (although maybe for you?) but there's a video of Natalia Osipova doing it on youtube :) it has lots of hops en pointe! Also flames of paris? It's a hard variation but it also has a lot of hops and pirouettes :)

• 1 month later...

I discussed with my ballet teacher and she suggested that I do the Odette variation or Esmeralda again. I went with Odette :)

As for my sister, she completely fell in love with Bluebird variation haha. Thank you for your suggestions!