Ballet Talk for Dancers

Books: A Girl In Motion

Dance Dreamer

This book called A Girl In Motion, is so amazing. I've read it about 10 times and it still gives me chills every time. It's about this girl named Anna who dreamed of becoming a professional dancer, and dance with the New York City Ballet company. The story tells of her going to the school of NCYB and the experiences, and struggles she had to face. I think the author of this book did an amazing job, because she captures the feeling that all ballerinas feel when they dance. The love they feel, the intense passion to dance and perform, and the determination to work and improve. I would strongly recommend this book to any dancer, or person looking for a good book to read. This book has inspired me to keep pushing and never give up.

I like her name :cool2:

Now I want to read it....thanks for the heads-up

This is an excellent story. I like that there is a nice dose of reality in this story. You see the struggles, challenges, obstacles, and the human perseverance of a dancer. It's definitely a worthy read. I recommend it for ages 14 up.

I finally got around to looking for it. It's written by a former professional dancer with the Miami City Ballet, Miriam Wengar-Landis. Unfortunately, our library doesn't have it, so it might be awhile before I get to read it...

Dance Dreamer

Could you find a copy online?

I confess to having trouble reading books on the computer. Shocking for a teenager, I know.

I downloaded it on DD's Kindle for her. I don't think she's actually read it yet, but I did. Have to admit that I did enjoy it. And, in case anyone is interested, there is now a sequel that follows Anna in her professional company.

Dance Dreamer

Ascballerina: Haha I understand! So do I sometimes(; and to MamatoMary: Are you serious? There's a sequel?! I am for sure interested in that. Do you know what the book is called?

Dance Dreamer

I found the book on Amazon for 13 dollars! It's callled Breaking Pointe, and I have read the first few pages, and it seems really good so far.

I, meanwhile, had a miracle happen. It's my sister's birthday soon, so my mother was ordering books off of Amazon for her and wanted the requisite $30 or whatever it is for free shipping, so guess who got to pick out a book....

I just read the book. Anyone who hasn't read it, this next part contains spoilers, so read at your own risk!

I couldn't help comparing the book, as I read it, to Sophie Flack's Bunheads. I was not a fan of the latter, so I was desperately hoping that this one would be better. It was. The book almost seems like a draft when you open it--the front is nothing special, and the text formatting is somehow different from what I normally see when I open up a book. The writing's in the first person present tense, which I normally hate, but it worked for this book, because it doesn't feel like everything already happened--it is happening now. What amazed me, was how fast everything happened. The book only covers two years. The first year, they're students, and then suddenly, the second year, they're job-hunting. But it worked. The way it was written, the whole thing worked. The only time I really had trouble sympathising with Anna, the main character, and this happened in Bunheads, and the movie Centre Stage, too, was their single-minded desire to get into one company, particularly a company that does mainly contemporary works. I can't help thinking if it had been me, I'd want to get into something that does do Giselle, Sleeping Beauty, and so on, (but that's a personal thing--I've been called a purist by one of my teachers) but I wouldn't be picky about it--there are so few jobs you're going to argue with the one that comes up? Going back to the story, I was extremely upset that she didn't get to do the Fire ballet, but at the same time, I really respected the author, Miriam Wengar-Landis, for not only putting that in, but for preventing her from getting it back, because it felt more real that way--I kept waiting for Hilary to get injured or something so Anna could get the part again, and that didn't happen, and it's more realistic that way.

I also really respected the teachers in the book, which rarely happens in ballet stories that I read. I would venture a guess that the author, herself a former professional dancer, drew on her memories of the teachers who influenced her to create them, because they, each unique, made me feel like I could learn something from them just by reading their words (or lack thereof in the case of Simon) in the book. I had the same reaction to one of the teachers as I did to Professor McGonagall in Harry Potter--I hated her at first, then learned to respect and even like her.

Overall, it's a book I'll probably read several times more. Now I'd like to read the sequel!

Dance Dreamer

Thats awesome! I haven't read the book bunheads, but I've heard about it before, and i had been hoping that it wasn't like the t.v. show Bunheads at all.

I was so upset when Anna didn't get to do the Fire ballet too, but I loved that the author wasn't afraid of making the book like real life, and she showed us that the ballet world is full of disappointment

Which teacher did the Professor Mcgonagall act on you? I really liked the teachers too and all their depth and personality. They fascinated me with their strictness and indiviual teaching methods.

PSB Ballerina

I read both books, and I loved them both. However, did anyone notice that BNY was a lot like SAB (or the concept of it at least)? And the Riozman ballets seemed to be what we would call Balanchine? And the company Anna joins was a lot like NYCB, the AD particularly reminded me of Balanchine...

Which teacher did the Professor Mcgonagall act on you? I really liked the teachers too and all their depth and personality. They fascinated me with their strictness and indiviual teaching methods.

Madam Sivenko. I have issues with some of the things she does, but she shows she's human later...