Ballet Talk for Dancers

DVD/Movies: Pointe DVD Recommendations?

I am taking all the classes I can right now, which is about 7 technique classes a week (2-3 are in pointe shoes), 2 pointe classes, and a variety of other classes. I only go to school three days a week and have some free time at home that I'd like to spend on ballet. Are there any good pointe DVDs out there?

• Administrators

Do you have a proper floor for doing pointe work at home? Do you have a barre? Also, with all those classes, why do you need a pointe DVD? You need to just work on things that you have been taught in classes.

Yes, proper flooring as well as a barre. I'd like one to have as a structured class, I usually just end up getting distracted and don't get much accomplished.

• Administrators

I don't think that is really the best idea, KrystaMarie, even if there is a pointe class DVD. There is no way to know if it is the right level class for you. You need to only work on things that you have learned how to do correctly. Ballet is a highly disciplined art form, so this might be the time to start developing that kind of focus and discipline.

It sounds like it might be time to add some more days dancing. If I read your post correctly, you are only dancing 3 days per week, right? You should be dancing about 5 days per week. Have you seen this sticky? http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=54924

Clara, I am actually dancing 6 days a week now. I go to academic school, I should say, only 3 days a week. Sorry for the confusion!

Oh! That makes a difference, and you really just need to trust your teachers.