Ballet Talk for Dancers

Knee Support and Support Tights

Mayfly

I normally wear a knee support for class but I am taking my Grade 6 ISTD exam soon. I have beend looking at suitable alternatives for the exam and I am considering support tights. I understand that Capezio hold and stretch may be good. Any views?

Hi Mayfly - thats exciting you'll be sitting your Grade 6 exam soon!

My first question would be, why do you wear the support? Is it just something you wear to help an old injury during class, or can you not dance without it? And if you really can't dance without it, check with your teacher about if ISTD have a policiy allowing for injuries in exams. Some syllabus' will allow you to submit a form detailing your injury.

I have never seen those tights so can't comment, but if you wanted something less bulky, could you try strapping tape or elasticated bandage? I would think they would offer more support than tights.

I have the hold and stretch tights, and while they are more supportive than regular tights, they are in no way similar to a knee brace or strapping. Basically, they decrease the amount of jiggling thighs, but that's about it!